Endings

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Re: Endings

Post by Dusamae »

I didn't like the idea of suicide. I like the second ending. I am hoping for a book two and that was the only way to get to the next book. I want to see what he will do with his life and talent now that he is out from under Feelrock.
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

I don't like sad endings when I read, it kind of leaves a bad taste and a disappointment. Would definitely prefer a happy ending.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

It bothers me when authors leave endings obviously open for a sequel, especially when it is not marketed as a series or when it is supposed to be the final book in a series. Good art encourages the audience to question, but I don't think that applies to money-grabbing schemes. Too many good (or at least enjoyable) stories have wide openings for more books, almost as a failsafe for authors to return to their own comfort zone.

I prefer the story end where it is supposed to end, where it feels right, rather than extend it beyond its shelf life.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I like both happy and sad endings as long as they bring resolution to the story and everyone is left feeling justified.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Yssimnar wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 20:13 Sound like it was anti-climatic as if Harry Potter didn't actually need to die and get resurrected after all.
That's one way to put it, yeah. But suicide ending turning out fake would have been a bit too depressing. I see some similarities between Allegiant now. But turns out Agent Silver didn't die after all.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

Readers are not supposed to predicts the ending of a book. Readers must be taken by a surprise. This shows the professionalism of the author. I don't see the reasons why readers must be disappointed for such an ending. This is a clear indication of the professionalism of the author.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

kwame1977 wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 10:03 Readers are not supposed to predicts the ending of a book. Readers must be taken by a surprise. This shows the professionalism of the author. I don't see the reasons why readers must be disappointed for such an ending. This is a clear indication of the professionalism of the author.
I disagree. It isn't about the predictability but rather about how much sense the story makes as a whole. Surprising the readers with a rather unrealistic twist isn't professionalism.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I thought it was almost fitting for Sliver to commit suicide after killing Fellrock, and did not appreciate the second/real ending.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

melissy370 wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 20:35 I felt the ending reflected the evolution of Sliver's character. He realized he could have a choice on how he lives. I personally loved the faked out ending and was hoping he chose life instead of death. It shows someone with such brokenness can have hope also.
I quite agree. I got the feeling the thoughts of suicide showed the depth of his character and the changes that were going on inside him. It was like his sense of courage came back to him, his will to live (and I mean live not exist), a re-awakening of his humanness. It felt like his messed-up self was dying and who he was as a young person is now coming back to life. The ending took me by surprise which is nice for a change and even though I like things to be nicely wrapped up, this one appealed because it offered hope.
Dabuddhababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabuddhababe.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Dabuddhababe »

The suicide ending had me in a shocked state. It was perfect and sad all together. Then when I read the real ending, it felt like a fairytale ending. It was odd and corny, I'm not a fan.

Although, I never thought about a second book. If that's what hes setting up for then I am all for it.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I do believe that there will be a part two to this book.
Aditi1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi1992.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aditi1992 »

I haven't read the book but I am a believer of happy endings. I do not like the way this book ends.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I preferred the suicide ending, but I wish it was more of a "happily ever after thing," with killing Fellrock, Alcarn, and marrying Kelly.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

by Beth KG

I'm with the majority of the responses here. I preferred the fake ending. The author could always have opted to bring him back via some other device in a sequel. As in the death and return of Spock and other characters in Star Trek, lol! :geek2:
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I really though that the false ending was a great way to close the book and end the story. I think it would have been more memorable for readers and would have left a more artistic and emotional impression.

The true ending was fine, but it was more the typical ending you would expect, setting up the possibility of a sequel.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”