Reflection on News Articles

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Reflection on News Articles

Post by Britty01 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 01:43
Britty01 wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 17:52
Thank you for providing the look up information to get me started. I have to say as a Brit, I do not have much faith in the BBC anymore. I always take into account who published the article and their motive. However, I do know someone who has family in Columbia so I will ask them about it. Thanks again.
I’m a Brit too and recently cancelled my TV licence due to lack if faith in the BBC. However, I saw a documentary quite a few years back about how extreme the competition us between the two corporations.
Yes, I think they have been duking it out since the fifties at least. I became aware of it watching a documentary about Joan Crawford, surprisingly enough. I imagine that is probably true in other industries also.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Actually, environmental pollution is a major threat to the world today. Rising global temperatures is as a result of air pollution.News of decreasing air pollution as such is positive.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I also enjoyed the environmental benefits. The thing that I disliked was just reading the gradual increase in the supercorporations power. I mean, I liked it but at the same time, it gave me a serious sense of foreboding :lol2:
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

A lot were interesting, but some got boring as well.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

The articles were very many but one thing amused me very much, people still try to hide their assets from the government and avoid paying taxes. I guess humans will always be consistent in their selfishness.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I was struck by the comment that the government was using the National Guard to collect taxes. That doesn't sound as far-fetched as it should!!!
Sdejardine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdejardine.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Sdejardine »

The News Articles to me were hard to follow. They were so mundane and difficult to get through. The only part I remember from any of them was the change in the state of the world and how diseases and other things seemed to be eradicated to some extent. Made me wonder, at the time, if this was propaganda that they wanted Sliver to believe (as he was quite isolated), or if it was truth.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

JHuschle519 wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 14:28
hsimone wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 11:30 While reading the articles that Kelly reads following the events that has occurred the last 50 years, leading to the current state of the world, what struck you? Was there something that surprised you? Was there something that you liked? Something that disturbed you?
There was one part of the news article chapters of this book that really got me thinking. What would happen if a large group of people just stopped paying their taxes? Yes, the IRS could garnish their wages and try to come after their possessions, but if people were able to find away to protect their assets or had so few assets that they didn't care, what would the government do? What kind of damage would it do to the economy? I don't think it will ever happen, but it is an interesting thought exercise.
I also wonder what would happen in this scenario. There is a bigger trend of people going off-grid and homesteading to get away from the hustle and bustle and be completely self sufficient. If entire communities did this and had no monetary income to garnish, I wonder how this would affect the economy nationwide?
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

The articles about the US government losing control and also about tax default that ends up kicking in martial law. That definitely is thought provoking and makes one wonder...what if it really happens?
Awilson531
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awilson531.html
Latest Review: Playing the Badger Game by Robert Henson

Post by Awilson531 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 01:43
Britty01 wrote: 17 Aug 2018, 17:52
Thank you for providing the look up information to get me started. I have to say as a Brit, I do not have much faith in the BBC anymore. I always take into account who published the article and their motive. However, I do know someone who has family in Columbia so I will ask them about it. Thanks again.
I’m a Brit too and recently cancelled my TV licence due to lack if faith in the BBC. However, I saw a documentary quite a few years back about how extreme the competition us between the two corporations.
So am I although I don’t think I’d be able to cancel my licence. I think I will need to give this a read, it sounds lie something I’d be interested in
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The tax default and National Guard topics struck me too.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is just but a clear proof that indeed the news article section was very lengthy. Had not noticed that the time lapses also were so big and would make it hard to understand.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

At the end of it all, we are all learning a lesson on how we can make improvements on loopholes such as this section that was long. Especially for those who might venture into writing in future. It would have been better if there were breaks in between.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

joycechitwa wrote: 29 Aug 2018, 10:39 The articles about the US government losing control and also about tax default that ends up kicking in martial law. That definitely is thought provoking and makes one wonder...what if it really happens?
This is a great view and very different from most of the views here. Your perspective and the question that results is thought provoking for sure.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Braunsucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braunsucre.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Braunsucre »

Personally, I think the part about the increased lifespan and decreased pollution will simply remain in the world of imagination considering the current state of affairs.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”