Favorite and Least Favorite Parts

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Favorite and Least Favorite Parts

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What were you least favorite parts/scenes/chapters of the book? Why were they your least favorite?
  • For me, any time the news articles came up, I rolled my eyes. I felt those sections just took me out of the story and not in a good way. It seemed almost too separate from the plot. Perhaps if the articles were woven into the plot more, like one or two of them toward the beginning of each chapter, rather than two big chunks of them.
What were your favorite parts/scenes/chapters of the book? Why were they your favorite?
  • I really liked whenever Sliver struggled with what he wanted to do versus what he was told to do. The conflict of doing what's right and what he's used to seemed realistic and added more depth to character.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Least Favorite Part
Similiar to you, just when I think there is nothing I would not like about the book, it never fails. I too don't like the long, drawn-out chapters regarding the historical lessons. Although, a significant part of the plot, the lessons between some of the chapters seemed to take away from the storyline. Wherefore, I feel the author should have selected a different approach.

Favorite Part
I like feeling the suspense of what happens next and not what I expected. The element of surprise keeps me guessing. Needless to say, World, Incorporated: A Modern Dystopia reminds me of two additional, fictional tales I like where everything is very bad; the Left Behind book series, best-selling novels by authors Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins, dealing with Christian dispensationalist end times: the pretribulation, premillennial, Christian eschatological interpretation of the Biblical apocalypse.

In addition to the amazing film series, Jason Bourne created by author Robert Ludlum. The difference is I like that secret agent Silver wraps things up in less than 300 intensified pages with the hope of a sequel. And I like the crafty airship named Chrome Wind and every part of its cool features, including but not limited to Franklin, the smart, often humorous, computer board.
Dabuddhababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dabuddhababe.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Dabuddhababe »

The the chapter full of articles was the worst part. I almost forgot what I was reading half way through. I agree that it should have been woven into the story more. Maybe Franklin could have put some witty banter on it. Or we could have seen Silvers notes, to lighten the mood.

My favorit part was when Silver was flying over the desert, and Rex came out of no where to kill him. It was compleatly unexpected to me, and I love that. Also, how can you not love Franklin's sence of humor?
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

My least favorite parts of the book were the news clips. I thought I would never be finished with the book because of them. I understand why they were needed but I think it could have been done a little different. For that matter, I think it should have been its own separate book.

My favorite parts of the book where Franklin and Rex arguing. I thought that was funny and it lightened the mood of the book and helped me get past the news clips.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by sharkyjen998 »

Least favorite: My least favorite parts of the book were when circumstances were just too overly convenient for Agent Silver. Getting attacked right near the Shredder's base for example. I would've liked to see Agent Silver struggle to solve something rather than appear to be invincible.

Most favorite: Agent Silver's interactions with Kelly and the Shredders. It was great to see the more "human" side of Agent Silver compared to the cold-blooded and mission-driven side of him.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

FAVORITE PART OF THE BOOK FOR ME.

When there was enough enforcement of news and articles,I was too much bored of reading anymore about the story.

LEAST FAVORITE PART OF THE BOOK.

The gap between the task and desire of Silver while going towards the completion of this story was much enjoyable for me.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

by Beth KG

My favorite parts: The Chrome Wind and imagining living in it; sort of like the Nautilus in Jules Verne. I also really liked the news article sections. Yes, they got tedious, but I found them to be a brilliant extrapolation of the way current events could possibly unfold.

Least favorite: When events were not well explained and the author seemed in a hurry just to tell the story.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Least favorite part was easily the newspaper articles. A simple conversation between Sliver and Kelly to bring her up to speed would have been so much better to read. The articles went on and on and I was just skimming them by the end. As someone pointed out the story was too convenient and simple. Why did Ancarn let himself be beat up, that made no sense. I have no idea how people actually lived.

Rex was kind of cool once he was "converted" but that was about it for me. I wouldn't wish this book on anyone.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Contains spoilers...

My least favourite part of the book was the lack of worldbuilding. I think the Gariffo had a really great opportunity to showcase some of the ways of the new world, and we only caught glimpses of them. I didn't think it was enough. He allowed the news articles to build his world in a one-dimensional way, and I didn't think that was good enough.
My most favourite part was Sliver's metamorphosis. He started as a cold, hard killer, and worked his way through various situations making him a lot more personable. I ended up liking him a lot, and when Kelly died, I felt like his whole world came crashing down. It was very well written.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

My favorite part was where Agent Silver chose to spare Kelly. He even went ahead to convince the onboard computer not to let out the secret. I guess my least favorite will also be the news sections. I had not thought of the least favorite part but there is nothing as boring as being distracted from the flow of the story then being brought back later. It is tempting and one may skip that part.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Bianka Walter wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 10:22 Contains spoilers...

My least favourite part of the book was the lack of worldbuilding. I think the Gariffo had a really great opportunity to showcase some of the ways of the new world, and we only caught glimpses of them. I didn't think it was enough. He allowed the news articles to build his world in a one-dimensional way, and I didn't think that was good enough.
My most favourite part was Sliver's metamorphosis. He started as a cold, hard killer, and worked his way through various situations making him a lot more personable. I ended up liking him a lot, and when Kelly died, I felt like his whole world came crashing down. It was very well written.
This is good. It almost seems as if the least favorite part for everyone was the news articles part.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I also do support that the death of Kelly could as well be my other less favorite part. It is so hard to believe that after initiating the process that saw the transformation of Agent Silver, Kelly died. I hoped that she would have lived on.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

I did not have a specific favourite part. However, I disliked the death if agent Silver in his own hands.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Kibetious wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 06:52 I also do support that the death of Kelly could as well be my other less favorite part. It is so hard to believe that after initiating the process that saw the transformation of Agent Silver, Kelly died. I hoped that she would have lived on.
I was sad about that also, but that loss for Agent Sliver seems to be a large part of his journey back from the dark world he had lived in for the past few years. He needed to know how death felt for the loved ones and survivors.
WendyNorth
Currently Reading: My Author Is Dead
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendynorth.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by WendyNorth »

Least favorite part was the news articles. At a few points I wanted to quit reading because I was so bored with those parts. I'm glad I pressed on, but I think those could definitely be refined or the main details presented in the story some other way. At first I did like that information was being presented in a different way, but ultimately it grew boring after awhile, and I was thankful to get back into the parts with action and characters to get to know.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”