Is freedom the most important topic in Gariffo’s novel?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Is freedom the most important topic in Gariffo’s novel?

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I couldn’t help remembering George Orwell’s famous three slogans in 1984:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Is freedom of thought or decisional freedom still possible in Gariffo’s dystopian world where citizens are nothing but consumers?

Freedom seems to be on Agent Sliver’s mind as soon as he allows himself to feel again. He even tries to convince Rex, the cyborg, of the importance of personal freedom. In spite of years of experimentation and programming, they both manage to break free and decide for themselves no matter the glooming perspectives ahead.

Is their newly acquired freedom genuine or merely an illusion?
Under the circumstances, does freedom become the major topic of the novel?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Freedom of thought was the one thing that saved Sliver from being killed by Rex. Freedom is choices and choices have consequences. Their freedom for decisions are genuine, however, the consequences of their decisions at the end of the book may cause them to be "taken care of" killed. They have now become the people they were sent to "kill".

I had not thought of that, but yes, from the time he found Kelly. It seemed to be the most important thing to Sliver. Actually, it probably went back to the geeks that he hid.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beth KG »

by Beth KG

I think you have hit upon the most important truth of this novel. Although almost unstated with everything else that happens, I believe freedom is the main theme. Much to my chagrin, it took reading your insightful question in order for me to cut through to that conclusion. No matter what happens subsequently to the end of this book, the freedom of Sliver and Rex, at that point, is real and not an illusion. Thank you for introducing yet another great topic!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Freedom is definitely the theme for this book. The people struggle with the freedom of using their money instead of giving it to the government, Sliver and Rex were enslaved by World Inc. in a myriad of ways, and freedom of speech was nonexistent. Under the umbrella of World Inc. the people walk around not knowing that they have no freedom because they are being told what the supercorporations want them to know. I think in the end Rex and Sliver find true freedom by breaking World Inc 's hold on them.

I think this book can make you wonder what freedoms we have now that slowly being eroded.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Hmm, I think you're right. After a while, freedom seems to become Silver's focal point. Being captured from his youth and Rex designed as some sort of slave, I do believe that their acquired freedom is genuine.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
mcfeealexis
Currently Reading: #Nerd
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcfeealexis.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by mcfeealexis »

Freedom seems to be an important theme in this novel. It is the focal point of everything that is important to Agent Silver. It even comes down to him wanting to end his own life in the end which I think is a true testament to how much freedom he has.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Freedom is the main theme in this book. Freedom to free will was well portrayed.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Freedom becomes one of the major themes but it was hard to imagine that it was indeed. In such a world, the choice of Agent Silver to embrace freedom was such a hard choice. I would also propose that freedom is indeed a major theme but I am not sure whether it is the main theme of the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

mcfeealexis wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 20:41 Freedom seems to be an important theme in this novel. It is the focal point of everything that is important to Agent Silver. It even comes down to him wanting to end his own life in the end which I think is a true testament to how much freedom he has.
Wow. This is awesome. It comes with a very profound proof and evidence of the greatness of this theme of freedom in the book. Indeed, Agent Silver choosing to end his life is a part of the result of freedom of thought and choice.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

melissy370 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 17:20 Freedom is definitely the theme for this book. The people struggle with the freedom of using their money instead of giving it to the government, Sliver and Rex were enslaved by World Inc. in a myriad of ways, and freedom of speech was nonexistent. Under the umbrella of World Inc. the people walk around not knowing that they have no freedom because they are being told what the supercorporations want them to know. I think in the end Rex and Sliver find true freedom by breaking World Inc 's hold on them.

I think this book can make you wonder what freedoms we have now that slowly being eroded.
This is a great insight into the book theme. I had not seen it this way but these all statements are true. It is clear enough that indeed freedom becomes an important theme.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by David Horta Alonso »

Freedom is the most important asset in any state. The people should be left to think independently and decide for themselves. Without freedom, then our democracy ceases to flourish.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

melissy370 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 17:20 Freedom is definitely the theme for this book. The people struggle with the freedom of using their money instead of giving it to the government, Sliver and Rex were enslaved by World Inc. in a myriad of ways, and freedom of speech was nonexistent. Under the umbrella of World Inc. the people walk around not knowing that they have no freedom because they are being told what the supercorporations want them to know. I think in the end Rex and Sliver find true freedom by breaking World Inc 's hold on them.

I agree, although I would wonder if there were not a few that would think about such things but be too afraid to say or do anything about it. I wondered also how they felt if their city was the target of one of the battles between the Supercorporations.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

As far as Rex, Kelly, and Silver go, I would say their freedom is genuine. They are still somewhat anonymous in this world because of their work or, in Kelly's case, because of her parent's views. For almost all other citizens, I would say freedom is an illusion. They are already logged into the Registry and are monitored at every turn, literally.
yogeshban60
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by yogeshban60 »

This is a novel written by Tom Gariffo . I think that the important theam in this novel is freedom but guys , honestly it was hard to imagin that it was indeed . Otherwise the novel is quite well . It seems that a character named agent silver is hero of this novel . It is not guranted that freedom is important theam in this novel . :techie-studyingbrown:
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Freedom is important in this book. It goes with one's thoughts and actions.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”