Which character did you identify with the most?

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
Beth KG
Favorite Book: Time and Again
Currently Reading: Practice the Jealous Arts
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-kg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Which character did you identify with the most?

Post by Beth KG »

by Beth KG

Agent Sliver is an assassin, though he has been kidnapped, drugged, brainwashed and coerced into becoming one. Kelly is forced out of what she thought was reality and into circumstances beyond her control. Rex, a half-human, half AI being, develops a consciousness that transcends his programming. Which character were you drawn to the most? Which one do you feel you could actually be like under the same circumstances?
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I identified the character of Kelly the most because she's acting as the backbone for the completion of whole story.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

It is really hard to choose, I liked them all. I guess I was drawn more by Sliver's character. He seemed to fight the drugs and brainwashing and tried to save some of his intended targets. I think given the same circumstances I could be like Sliver.
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 12:44 I identified the character of Kelly the most because she's acting as the backbone for the completion of whole story.
I can see how you would identify with Kelly. She is the most innocent (of wrongdoing) of any of the characters. She does play an important role in allowing the author to complete his story. I think she acts as a kind of reflection in which Sliver can view his own actions. Thank you for your comment!
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

Dusamae wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 08:26 It is really hard to choose, I liked them all. I guess I was drawn more by Sliver's character. He seemed to fight the drugs and brainwashing and tried to save some of his intended targets. I think given the same circumstances I could be like Sliver.
I also identified with Sliver more than the rest. It's always fun to imagine myself as an action hero with superhuman physical abilities, lol! And... the Chrome Wind would be sooooo much fun to live in. However, I hope I would never be able to become an assassin! But it's hard to say what a person can become capable of when intentionally driven mad and morally reprogrammed. Thank you for commenting!
Bookcool123
Currently Reading: The Relik
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcool123.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Bookcool123 »

Sliver. His curiosity killed the cat attitude made the rest of the story worthwhile. He wouldn't dare the impossible if not for his kind of thinking .
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

Bookcool123 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 11:56 Sliver. His curiosity killed the cat attitude made the rest of the story worthwhile. He wouldn't dare the impossible if not for his kind of thinking .
Hmmm... I have to admit, I didn't quite think of it that way...but you have a point!
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Beth KG wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 09:49
Dusamae wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 08:26 It is really hard to choose, I liked them all. I guess I was drawn more by Sliver's character. He seemed to fight the drugs and brainwashing and tried to save some of his intended targets. I think given the same circumstances I could be like Sliver.
I also identified with Sliver more than the rest. It's always fun to imagine myself as an action hero with superhuman physical abilities, lol! And... the Chrome Wind would be sooooo much fun to live in. However, I hope I would never be able to become an assassin! But it's hard to say what a person can become capable of when intentionally driven mad and morally reprogrammed. Thank you for commenting!
I'm sure Sliver would have thought that before being brainwashed. He seems to have a good heart even though he has been programmed to kill.
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

Dusamae wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 15:43
Beth KG wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 09:49
I'm sure Sliver would have thought that before being brainwashed. He seems to have a good heart even though he has been programmed to kill.
Agreed!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Of course, I am drawn to Agent Silver the most. But under better and different circumstances would I want to be like him.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I loved Rex and the fact that he was half human but ended up with so much compassion as that of human, makes him my favorite.
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

ValBookReviews wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 23:48 Of course, I am drawn to Agent Silver the most. But under better and different circumstances would I want to be like him.

My feelings exactly! :)
Beth KG

Post by Beth KG »

Sharon2056 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 07:53 I loved Rex and the fact that he was half human but ended up with so much compassion as that of human, makes him my favorite.
He was my second favorite! And if he had had more presence in the book could possibly have been my first. Thank you for your comments. :)
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Spoiler Alert: I get very specific.

When I saw the title, "Which character did you identify with the most?", I thought you meant which character out of the whole book. My mind went right away to a particular character that played a tiny, but significant, part. I didn't realize that you were going to list three characters for us to choose from. Not really sure which of the three I feel I could be most like, under the same circumstances. But, I'll try.

I wasn't really 'drawn to' any one of the characters more than the others. Although, I was the most 'surprised' by Rex. I fully expected him to kill Sliver. They were face to face and Sliver asked Rex if he was going to kill him, and Rex said, "No, I'm not", even though he was receiving punishment jolts. That just blew my mind. Totally unexpected.

I would like to think that I could be like Rex. To be able to do what was right, no matter how I had been programmed. If you really think about it, we are all programmed to believe a certain way from the time we are born. We are programmed by our parents and the rest of our family, our church or lack of, our teachers at school, even by our governments thru media and laws, even our friends.

From our first breath, we are being programmed as to what is right and what is wrong. At some point we believe that our decisions are our own, or will be once we become an adult. But, are they truly, or are they a product of our conditioning, our programming? I would like to think that if I ever came face to face with the reality that something I had been taught to believe as true was actually a lie, that I would be able to make the decision to do the right thing, no matter the consequences. Like Rex did.

I don't believe I would turn out like Sliver, especially under the same circumstances. I would have probably been one of the ones who didn't make it through the indoctrination. I couldn't imagine myself surviving through the ordeal of torture that he went through.

Which brings me to Kelly. "Kelly is forced out of what she thought was reality and into circumstances beyond her control." I can relate to Kelly. There was someone in my life that I believed I could count on. Someone I believed would always be there for me, no matter what. When you have someone like that in your life, your reality looks a certain way, the world looks a certain way.

Then, the day comes when your reality is shattered. You find out that they were not who, or what, you thought they were. You really can't count on them. They aren't there for you. Suddenly, the whole world looks different. Reality tilts on its side, and everything feels out of control. And, there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Except to put one foot in front of the other, and continue to move forward, adapting to the new reality. Just like Kelly did.

So, I guess I would have to say that Kelly is the one I could see myself being the most like under the same circumstances. I've already been there. No one actually died, but it sure did feel like it, and my whole reality, and the way I saw the world, changed.

Now, back to the first character that came to my mind when I saw the question, "Which character did you identify with the most?"

The first technician we met on pg. 18. The poor guy was just trying to do his job. He was supposed to hook up to the Chrome Wind, and download the latest mission's information. Minding his own business, walking to the plane. At first, Sliver just did the intimidation stare, as he walked toward the technician. When the technician kept walking, Sliver stops and tells the poor guy that he'll kill him if he touches the plane.
The technician whimpered. Sliver stared a few seconds longer, and then walked away towards an elevator. He pressed the call button, and the technician waited. Sliver entered the elevator when it opened, and the technician continued to wait. The doors closed, and the technician wondered how much he needed this job.
I could just so totally relate. I can remember what it feels like to be in that position. Stuck between the big boss and a big client, just trying to do my job. Knowing that no matter what I did, I'd still be in trouble. But, at least the client never threatened to kill me physically, just threatened to kill my career.

When I read that part, I remember that I actually pictured myself laying my hand on his shoulder, watching the elevator doors close, and saying, "Jerk."
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I probably identified most with Agent Sliver. He did what he had to do to survive. I’m probably just as suggestible as he was in the end, too.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”