Kelly's role

Use this forum to discuss August 2018 book of the month "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Re: Kelly's role

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I thought that Kelly could have potentially been both a romantic interest and a reminder of Agent Sliver’s humanity. Instead I think she sort of vaguely accomplished the latter. She had a lot of unused potential, I thought.
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Power Onyango »

She is used to shape Silver's character. It is through her that Silver becomes a better person.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

When I started this book, I was afraid it would be another romance masked as something else. I don't mind a little love story in my books, but sometimes it would be nice for men and women to interact without always having to end up in the sack.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

The addition of Kelly seemed at first to be a candidate for a love interest angle, but I believe the purpose was more to aid the reader in getting up to speed. Her parents had evidently gone off the grid sometime before her birth and she had therefore missed as much history as the reader had. Although it could be argued that she primarily reminded him of his humanity, a chink in that armor was already evident in the fact that he saved the Shredders and found them a new home.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

holsam_87 wrote: 24 Aug 2018, 10:53 What were your thoughts on Kelly's role? Did you think she was going to be a romantic interest? A turning point for Sliver to remind him of his humanity? Or was she just a tool for the author to teach his audience about what has happened in the world through the newspaper articles?
I feel she was a tool for the author. After learning Sliver's past, I understand why he saved her, but I felt her role was no bigger than to explain why the world is the way it is now. I first that she would be a love interest, then eventually I thought they'd become partners and take down corruption together, but neither happened.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

I think Kelly was in so many ways the death of Sliver. She was his key back to humanity and later his misery.
wallegator
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wallegator.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by wallegator »

I, too, thought she was going to be the romantic interest. I guess the author used her as a turning point for Agent Sliver, as well as a way to show the reader how the world has changed. I thought that was a clever way to do it instead of just telling us.
Adodo Christian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Adodo Christian »

Kelly's role in the book was just to remind Silver that his heart and conscience should play a role while his inhuman nature enters him.. In my own perspective, it's nice her part was shortened.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I honestly thought, he would be Silver's love interest.
startabby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-startabby.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by startabby »

For me, Kelly was the most frustrating part of the story. She had plenty of potential but never really got to be anything more than a plot device. Instead, all that she did really was give Sliver and the audience a reason to examine society as it exists in World, Incorporated from an outsider's perspective.
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I think that Kelly's role was to make Sliver become a different person. I also think that she was a good tool to introduce the reader to what had happened to the world in the last 50 years as well.

Return to “Discuss "World, Incorporated" by Tom Gariffo”