Could it be adapted into a movie?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Re: Could it be adapted into a movie?

Post by Don Pwai »

The book can be adopted into a movie that enlighten people on the role of women in the society. That an area that surely needs to be addressed.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 1018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: The Dark and Lonely Road by Sean Gates

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

If the book is adapted into a movie, language can pose as a problem. This could be tackled by the use of subtitles but as AliceofX said it might become tricky when two different languages are at play. I think this might be solved by the use of different accents but that also is not a very concrete solution.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Historical fantasy is relatively famous right now. Add to that the fact that the story combines romance and an intriguing plot and I think it will do pretty well as a movie.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Georgialouise
Currently Reading: The Watchmaker’s Doctor
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgialouise.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Georgialouise »

Like others have already said, I don't think there would be a problem using different languages, as subtitles can easily be provided. I think this story would make a great movie.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I definitely don't see a barrier for this being turned into a movie so long as we do not bring in the question of authenticity - it is really difficult to ensure that it remains "authentic" if one were to develop an English language adaptation, because there will definitely be many aspects lost. (ahem CRA ahem)
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I think this book could definitely be adapted into a movie. I don’t think the language is going to be much of an issue as they can use subtitles. This could be a great movie if done right.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Maybe the question should be, "Should it be adapted into a movie?" I'm going to say no. I think I'm the only person on this forum who found this book seriously lacking in plot, substance, and character development.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I can totally imagine the book being made into a film. It has me thinking of the TV series "Game of Thrones" in some of its themes e.g. shapeshifting or seeing through the raven. And "Game of Thrones" is a TV phenomenon in the UK...
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 09:54 Maybe the question should be, "Should it be adapted into a movie?" I'm going to say no. I think I'm the only person on this forum who found this book seriously lacking in plot, substance, and character development.
I agree, books are usually better anyways. Not all books should be made into movies.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Ev4545
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ev4545 »

The book could be turned into a movie. The reason for that is those Celtic and Latin words can be learned. May have been hard to understand in the actual book but it can be done if the majority of people want it to be.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I enjoy movies that have lots of languages in them. The movie could be basically in english, and the scenes where it is written that they speak in Latin or Celtic will be translated. I think there are no problems in that.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

It seems like everything is made into a movie nowadays. I think this book would be perfect for that. I agree that the language would have to be ignored and just English used as with most movies.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It would definitely be a great action film even though it is a fantasy genre read.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Nikki Dewing
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikki-dewing.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Nikki Dewing »

This would be a movie I would like to go and see. And I don't think that the language should be an issue. That is not the main focus of the story. Does it really matter what language they speak?
Or ... let them speak in the original language, but add English subtitles. Catrin can speak her Latin to Marcellus and Celtic to whoever comes along, while Marcellus can show with facial expression that he has no clue what is being said - something like that.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

There's always subtitles. Language is always something they could get around one way or another

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”