Overall rating and opinion of "Apollo's Raven"

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Apollo's Raven"

Post by Kareka88 »

The book is a pleasing blend of fact and fiction, myth, and history. It is evident the author is enthusiastic about this period and has done extensive research. It seems to be a well-crafted story. It evokes different emotions in the reader because of the turbulent political climate of the ancient Celtic kingdoms, the chaotic nature of young love, and the unpredictable powers of the ancient Druids.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Rick Swan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rick-swan.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Rick Swan »

I thought the book was ok. I felt like the book was really a romance novel set in ancient times. The plot was interesting, but I found myself wanting to skip over all the swooning and graphic description of Catrin's thoughts. I just posted a full review here viewtopic.php?f=63&t=89374
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Kareka88 wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 22:00 The book is a pleasing blend of fact and fiction, myth, and history. It is evident the author is enthusiastic about this period and has done extensive research. It seems to be a well-crafted story. It evokes different emotions in the reader because of the turbulent political climate of the ancient Celtic kingdoms, the chaotic nature of young love, and the unpredictable powers of the ancient Druids.
I support you on this. The author really did his homework. Enjoyed it from the beginning to the end.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Rick Swan wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 15:44 I thought the book was ok. I felt like the book was really a romance novel set in ancient times. The plot was interesting, but I found myself wanting to skip over all the swooning and graphic description of Catrin's thoughts. I just posted a full review here viewtopic.php?f=63&t=89374
really? and i enjoyed reading Catrin's thought. enjoyed the book and it romance.
Bronie
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronie.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Bronie »

I love books with a historical theme , it has a very engaging story. The characters weren’t very convincing but the overall concept is satisfactory.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

CommMayo wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 11:17
Mairi_07 wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 00:55 Why wasn't Vala part of the prisoner exchange? Wouldn't a loving father make sure she got out safe? Did she even survive being a Roman hostage? I understand this is the first installment of a series, and yet I find these unanswered questions detracted so much from the story, I gave it a lower score. If some of these items were addressed, it would seem a much more professional book. I have read many books from different series, and most of those books could also stand alone. This one could not.
Good point about Vala...they did seem to forget about her rather quickly. I had wished that this novel could act as a stand alone as well. The ending was way too open ended for me. Even the best series authors have a way to bring up some sort of conclusion for each installment of a series.
I've been asking myself the same thing about Vala, it just doesn't seem fair or logical that she wasn't part of the exchange and the author could have give us a less open ending for this installment all thou the openness did make me want to read more.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

I just finished this book and i my rating was 3 out of 4 stars. It was a truly good read and even if the ending left me a little upset am exited about whats to come.
Catrin and Marcellus are both really well played characters and the story gives a good representation of people beliefs and how they can shape you and those around you. A must read if you haven't yet.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
LikoLovesBooks
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 728
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-likolovesbooks.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LikoLovesBooks »

I like the story overall and I do recommend it to readers. I felt that the author researched the time period well. Historical fiction with a bit of a magical twist...LOVE! However, I did not appreciate the instant love. I can understand the automatic curiosity that Catrin and Marcellus had for each other because they came from different cultures...but the instant love is a trope that I see over and over again that I do not appreciate. I love a good slow burning romance!
1414kings
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 75

Post by 1414kings »

:tiphat: Any one that love history like me, will key into the diversification method in this book. It touches ramifications of life.

However, non lovers of history may have bias mind. My rating for this book is 3 out of 4 ratings.

Kingsley B
Analeigh
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-analeigh.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Analeigh »

I really liked the book because of the political drama that happened. I would not recommend it for children or teens though.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I really liked this book and the supernatural themes. I thought the author put a lot of thought into the historical facts for background and researched aspects of mythology to incorporate into the book. I rated it a 3 out of 4 stars. I thought the author spent too much time on the romance compared to the other storylines
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

The book gener is not the type of gener I like reading. But the book sounds interesting here.
Sanashiii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanashiii.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Sanashiii »

Apollo's Raven was an interesting read. It is a story about love, greed, and betrayal. Basically, the story is about the main character, Catrin, who falls in love with the enemy she was supposed to seduce. By doing this, she ends up putting her entire family, and kingdom in jeopardy. I like how the plot flowed.
John Gavero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by John Gavero »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:41 Unfortunately, I didn't think that the characters were very believable and had a hard time connecting with this novel. I think the author needed to decide if this was a young adult fantasy novel or one aimed at a larger audience.

i think it is aimed for young adults like myself, i really enjoyed it :techie-studyinggray:
CBCollinsReview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbcollinsreview.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by CBCollinsReview »

Overall I gave this book a 3 out of four. While I found the characters well developed and the plot intriguing, the pace was a little slow for me. I think the fact that the author has decided to break the story up into a trilogy is one reason the story lagged. I am not the biggest fantasy fan, but would definitely recommend the book to people who enjoy the genre.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”