Overall rating and opinion of "Apollo's Raven"

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
bauer_ve
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bauer-ve.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Apollo's Raven"

Post by bauer_ve »

Wow, such a good book! This was such an interesting combination of genres but it worked so well together. The Roman and Celtic people were fascinating & Catrin's mythical powers are an interesting twist. I give it a 4 out of 4 star rating & would highly recommend this to people who like books such as Harry Potter
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I would absolutely recommend it- especially to someone that enjoys reading about romance, magic, mystery and adventure. I read this book to review and loved the characters and the plot. There were many twists that I did not foresee. It was a great read! :D
Ann KENDI
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ann KENDI »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:41 Unfortunately, I didn't think that the characters were very believable and had a hard time connecting with this novel. I think the author needed to decide if this was a young adult fantasy novel or one aimed at a larger audience.

I agree with you... That the characters are far much removed from reality and are hard to believe.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I gave the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The story is surprisingly good the the main character of catrin is well developed. However, the characterization of other characters like Rhan and Marcellus is weak and puts you off the book at times.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I give the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The elements of magic, shapeshifting added to the charm of the book. But, some of the characters like Marcellus, Rhan could have been better developed.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Was told by another member that I might enjoy this book because it is Stephen Kingish. Is this correct?
amjohnson13
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

This book seems like a well-rounded mix of history, fantasy, and romance. I'm not always a fan of just one of these genres on their own, but it sounds like a nice combination. I like a realistic romance, however, and I don't know how much this book illustrates that.
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

Apollo’s Raven packs a powerful punch with healthy doses of romance, political intrigue, sorcery, mythology, betrayal and sacrifice. The characters are fully developed and relatable. I recommend it to readers who are looking for a sweeping fantasy. Pretty decent book.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

My overall opinion of Apollo's Raven is that it had potential that it didn't live up to. The main characters were well written, but there were so many problems throughout the book with secondary characters, that it affected it as a whole.
I won't recommend it to others to read.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I just reviewed this book. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars, mostly because I found the scenes in which Catrin melded her mind with her raven to be confusing. I also was bothered that the chapter names were complete spoilers. Overall, though, I really enjoyed the book and I plan to read the whole series (which is confirmed up to 5 total books now).
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

Whoa! Honestly this book was amazing. The mythical gods, the characters, the themes of love and betrayal. The accuracy of past events. I rate this book 4 out 4 stars.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
HeatDods22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatdods22.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by M. Street

Post by HeatDods22 »

I loved this book! I thought all the characters were well thought out and I loved how easy it was to get wrapped up in the story. Tanner expertly twisted romance, mythology, and political strategy together to create a one-of-a-kind reading experience that I really enjoyed!
Latest Review: Metaphase by M. Street
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

Apollo's Raven was a nice book. It has the potential to become a great series, I am really looking forward to reading the next books. I would rate it a 4 out of 5.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

I was looking for a new fantasy series to read, and Apollo's Raven piqued my interest because it contained elements of history, magic, drama, tragic love, and political turmoil. At first I found it difficult to immerse myself in the story because Catrin's personality felt somewhat shallow in the beginning, and her interactions with Marcellus early on felt too bold for the time period the book is set in. But about halfway through the book, as the plot progressed and the political intrigue intensified, I started to get really into it and relate to the characters more. I ended up really enjoying the book and craving for more, so I gave the book a 4-star rating.
victoria crabbe
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by victoria crabbe »

I absolutely adored reading Apollo's Raven; it has so much depth and different aspects going on. I spent hours reading a few chapters and fell a sleep mid chapter a couple of times. For the first book ive choosen to read here made me very happy and excited to read even more. she made it so easy to read through. I found that each chapter transitioned into the next and each scene very smoothly. Linnea makes you feel as if you were really there and see what is going on around each character. The amount of attention she put into the supporting characters was outstanding. Honestly I can rant and rave about this book all day. I found myself finding ways to bring it up in conversation. It has excitement, mystery, betrayal and not gonna go there with her plot twist, my jaw literally dropped a few times with shock. What an amazing book. I tip my hat off to you :tiphat: Linnea Tanner.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”