Overall rating and opinion of "Apollo's Raven"

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Apollo's Raven"

Post by Joe Hadithi »

It took me a while to finish and I never got into it so much...it was a 2 for me
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
John Gavero
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by John Gavero »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 17:03 I haven't read the book yet, and even though historical fiction is my least favourite genre, I like the fact that the book comprises a little bit of romance.
I like to try this one too but maybe not now.
Sanashiii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanashiii.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Sanashiii »

Morgan Jones wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 02:56 historical fantasy is not my favourite genre, but the plot definitely captured my attention. I will make sure to add it to my reading list, but in the meanwhile I will recommend it to others who would enjoy it.
i might read this after I am done with my current book 8) I like how the review goes and the genre itself is what I love
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I haven’t read this one, but after reading several comments that the romance angle was disappointing, I’m not sure it’s for me. Historical fiction isn’t my preferred genre, either.
gkelly
Currently Reading: Soul
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkelly.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by gkelly »

I enjoyed the story but to me it started a little slow.
Vee_dee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vee_dee »

I like that this book combines so many elements, such as history, mythology, and fantasy. I don't come across many books that blend all those things so well. It's also well-researched, so it seems like a great book for learning more about Celtic and Roman mythology. I would recomend it to friends n would give it a rating of 4 out of 4
Shinaamujo

Post by Shinaamujo »

I love the book as it took me on an imaginary journey. Though I had a little struggle connecting at first.
modupereb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-modupereb.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by modupereb »

I like the romance aspect of the book! Not a lover of fiction book though. I rate it 2 out of 4
Alimemu Hamadu

Post by Alimemu Hamadu »

The book is very good. I read it with a friend and we really enjoyed reading.I liked the part played by the eagle most. I'll rate the book 5 out of 5
ChristeenaP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christeenap.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ChristeenaP »

gali wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 23:36 This is a discussion topic for the September 2018 Book of the Month, "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner. What is your overall opinion of the Apollo's Raven? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?
I really enjoyed reading Apollo’s Raven! I thought there were plenty of twists and turns to keep my attention and keep me guessing. My favorite part was seeing how the characters evolved and how Catrin used her powers. My least favorite part was the lack of explanation about the God’s roles in effecting the character’s actions & decisions. I felt like you had to have a decent knowledge about ancient God’s in order to understand the book better. However, I will definitely recommend this book to others! It will appeal to many others.
Iphie22
Currently Reading:

Post by Iphie22 »

I Really Enjoyed reading this book. Well taught out i must say. It kept me guessing, i couldnt predict a thing because of its twist.. I enjoyed the magic ..... Made me seek more knowledge about ancient Gods..
That was the challenging part
ag328901

Post by ag328901 »

I loved it! not my usual type of book but was looking for a change and came across this book. the romance was a little overpowering but most books I have read like this one are like that. however , that dosent make the book less interesting. if I can read a book from beginning to end , it's a good book . this book was amazing 😀 I give it five stars.
ReadMe28
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readme28.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by ReadMe28 »

Okay, I'm not sure how in depth we can get in this forum...There is so much I want to say, but I don't want to spoil the book for anyone who hasn't yet read it. Overall, it is a great story that I enjoyed reading, and I look forward to reading the second book to this story. However, I have to say that as an avid reader of various types of romance novels, I was very disappointed with the way the romance part of this story was told. I honestly don't care much for Marcellus, and was disappointed with the characters of Catrin's parents as well.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

I liked that the author clearly did her research. The characters and culture was suited for the time period the story was set in. The characters were well developed. Each one had a backstory that drove the character and made them feel real. One thing I disliked was that the author wouldn't let the audience make their own conclusions. The author was so precise with her descriptions that I felt there was very little left to the imagination. For me, the imagination is the best aspect of good fiction books, and this one just didn't really appeal to me in this way.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

melissy370 wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 18:06
jcoad wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 21:05 I had a hard time making it through the free sample. Seemed like a "Harlequin Romance" meets Hercules kind of thing. I couldn't take it serious. Is it a truly historical fiction or just a corny story that leads to erotic scenes?
I agree with you wholeheartedly. The romance overshadowed any of the historical features. It was all about them hooking up. Unfortunately, I read more than the sample to give it a chance and I wished I hadn't read more. It got worse.
Another reviewer here with the same opinion! I also read more than the sample and I regret it. I had selected this book to read based on the historical component. Unfortunately it seemed like the history was only a front for the deplorable romance. I am rather appalled that so many reviewers would recommend this to teens. Way too graphic for that age.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”