Did the book accurately portray the Celts?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Re: Did the book accurately portray the Celts?

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I don't know enough about them to judge. I would hope the author did their research first
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

The author did a great work in highlighting the Ceuts history especially the civilization. I was intrigued by the aspect of equality in their society from an early stage.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Lil Reads wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 22:59 One thing to remember about Celtic history is that the Romans wrote extensively on them with a clear bias and political aim. To the Romans, many Celtic customs seemed odd. For example, Celtic women did have a more important role both inside the family and in politics than Roman women. Archaeologists have noted that Celtic images and figurines of their deities show a distinct divide into pre-Roman and post-Roman influence. Prior to Roman interaction, male and female deities were usually depicted as being of similar height and with equivalent power; post Roman, the female deities are depicted as smaller and subservient.
I wanted to quote your entire comment because it's extremely accurate, and this comes from a passionate reader of anything about Celtic history. I think Linnea Tanner did a great researching work.
Berry :wine:
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

There's very few written records that depict Celtic society, as the Roman records on Celtic society will always be biased towards the society being "backwards" and "uncivilised" which was almost certainly not the case.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Kibetious wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 16:17
gali wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 00:13 As far as I can tell, it seemed historically accurate. The author presented the Roman's mindset and policy perfectly. I am not so sure about the portrayal of the Celts, though. Their culture was well described, but some point bugged me.

Spoiler
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
I found it odd that two of the queen's daughters were from her lover, and that the king knew about it and accepted it just like that. One maybe, but not two, especially when the second one was born a few years after the marriage.
What? Have not read the entire book but this would sound odd to anyone out here. It does not make much sense, or is this love? :D
It was love. It mirrors what is happening with Catrin's sister almost exactly for a large portion of the book.
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I have only read the sample and really didn't like it. Is it worth the "erotic scenes" to get the historical fiction portion?
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

I felt it did accurately portray both sides. It also added to they story to make it more intriguing. The mix of fiction in it, made it the story it is. It's a great book to read and it gives you a glimpse of real history as well. :)
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

jcoad wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 20:31 Is it worth the "erotic scenes" to get the historical fiction portion?
I really wouldn't call Apollo's Raven historical fiction. It's more of a fantasy story in a historical setting. If what you're expecting is a historical novel then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

Yes, this is historically accurate. They even used Marc Antony's grandson in the story, which was cool.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Celtic people give the rights of freedom to women as compared to Roman people. At some points in the story, women are not respected as a whole but overall they are good than Roman in the case of women.
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by K Geisinger »

gali wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 12:55
CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:39
gali wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 00:13 As far as I can tell, it seemed historically accurate. The author presented the Roman's mindset and policy perfectly. I am not so sure about the portrayal of the Celts, though. Their culture was well described, but some point bugged me.

Spoiler
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
I found it odd that two of the queen's daughters were from her lover, and that the king knew about it and accepted it just like that. One maybe, but not two, especially when the second one was born a few years after the marriage.
I thought it odd at first, but I think the author explains it away when she introduces the curse written on the dagger foretelling his downfall at the hands of one of his children.
Yes, I know, but I still found it unbelievable.
I agree it was unbelievable but not because of the years between the two daughters or the dagger. King Amren quickly executed Rhan for treason even though she was queen at the time. I'd think he'd have little tolerance for anything that even smelled of treasonous behavior and infidelity would count.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)
BookDragon100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookdragon100.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by BookDragon100 »

Personally, I look for loose historical accuracy. I accept that when I choose to read a historical fiction that there are going to be things that are inaccurate, but I don't want to dwell on it and not be able to enjoy the book. Without delving too deep into the history of the cultures, I think it holds up.
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

As with any historical fantasy, the basis of it seems to be pretty accurate but there are parts that seem a little over the top and exaggerated, but that is to be expected andmakes for a better 'fantasy'
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

I also think for the most part, the author depiction of the Celts was accurate. Not that I would really mind if it wasn’t. It’s a great fantasy story and that’s what counts for me.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I think it may be coarsely accurate from historical point of view, and that too author must have refereed to several historical book which depicts that period and taken some most common events in all the books. Hoverer to fit the history to the story it may have been slightly modified.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”