Catrin and Marcellus

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Re: Catrin and Marcellus

Post by Julie Green »

I believe their relationship is absolutely credible; I am basing this on their immediate and instinctive attraction to each other when they first meet. Whatever her motivation, Catrin effectively saves Marcellus' life and it is quite clear from the outset that their destinies will be entwined.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I do appreciate their mental strength. Especially Marcellus, as he has more to lose than Catrin as a whole by fighting the world for this relationship.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

In a book somewhat gone crazy with so many characters scheming behind the scenes, I felt that Catrin and Marcellus did have feelings for one another. His thoughts portrayed his attraction to her that was different than how he had viewed other women, and she looked at him in a trusting manner. However, this author could pull the rug out from all of us, and suddenly, we won't know which end is up at all. I think it is open-ended in so many places to give room for a next book.
Everything happens for a reason...
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

I found the "love at first sight" situation not exactly credibly, mainly because the two barely had time to meet and then there were very few scenes of them actually interacting in a meaningful way. Part of this was because there was so much else going on in the book.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

It had a Romeo and Juliet vibe to me, which I loved. I feel like that they both connected due to being second in line to the throne after their worthless older siblings.
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by K Geisinger »

gali wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 01:40
AliceofX wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 01:33 The more I think about it the more confused I get. Since Agrona used that love potion and who knows what other magic, how do we know how "real" their love really was? It's probably not something that we can judge just from the first book.

But what really bugs me is that Marcellus was willing to give up his family and country for Catrin, but she didn't do the same. It's like if Juliet had said, "Capulet's rule," at the end and walked off.
A good point about the love potion, but I do believe their emotions were real.

I don't think he was willing to give up his family and country. He didn't want to stay with her, but offered her to come with him and be his mistress. I can understand why she refused.
The love potion was lavender and musk. Catrin might have enjoyed the smell, but it's more likely teenage hormones were the driving love potion. I believe that their feelings were real and very intense. Unfortunately, I think that like most teenage love it quickly lost it's shine by the book ending as the two drifted apart and doubted the other.

As for the offer to be his mistress, Marcellus did not have the strength to actually offer that. He only asked her to come to Rome. If her mother hadn't cautioned her against the Romans and her role in society, Catrin could have easily thought it was a marriage offer. In her belief, they are already married in the eyes of Mother Goddess.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

I'm not a fan of intsta-love, especially in this case. I didn't think Catrin and Marcellus' relationship was believable, and there was no point in which I was convinced of their love for each other. Mostly, it seemed to be a relationship of mistrust and lies.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

HRichards wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 21:46 I found the "love at first sight" situation not exactly credibly, mainly because the two barely had time to meet and then there were very few scenes of them actually interacting in a meaningful way. Part of this was because there was so much else going on in the book.
I really agree with you. There was no true foundation for any type of relationship between them at all. Doesn't Marcellus essentially admit to saying whatever he had to so Catrin would have sex with him? He knew he was making a pledge to her and then tried to worm his way out of it as soon as the deed was done!
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by KMSingh »

I think their emotions were real and that their relationship is clear. Though, in the last third of the book, Tanner introduced doubt into each of their minds that I didn't think was believable. Also, I don't know that the conflict created by the doubt was necessary and certainly didn't add anything to the narrative.
Kate S.

My only addiction is books.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I think their distrust for each other is the biggest conflict in their love story, and also the love potion. Their relationship is danced with magic, and magic is an illusion. Maybe in the next book, their love will bloom into something real.
Hafsa1
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Hafsa1 »

Valerius wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 06:25 Despite the love potion, I feel Catrin's feelings for Marcel was real. From the way she described him upon first sight, to her uneasiness during the hall heat. She expresses extra concern for the lad even before they spoke.
Catana or Catrin, I think it is Catrin because of here physical appearances - Marcrlus' thoughts paraphrased. A clear indication of admiration
I think with love potion your true feeling are suppressed and it is emotions are over whelmed by the the magic or she would have never taken it when there was sincerety in her emotions.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Marcellus and Catrin just seemed like two very confused people in a confusing situation.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Yes, they thought independently of their parents' expectations, something that I really admired and enabled the advancement of the plot.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

It is believeable if you ask me since the first time they met each other at the reception hall. Both of them hardly take their eyes off of each other. Even their own fathers noticed it. The love potion on the wolf pelt given by Agrona to Catrin made of both of them release their utmost desire which is to make love with each other.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Noraine Alissa Poria wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 22:07 I think their distrust for each other is the biggest conflict in their love story, and also the love potion. Their relationship is danced with magic, and magic is an illusion. Maybe in the next book, their love will bloom into something real.
This is a very good and important point. The author really uses that doubt at a plot tool to make their actions unpredictable. It makes them and the reader wonder what is truly driving their attraction and how they will react to their doubts.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”