Themes

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Themes

Post by gali »

What were some of the major themes of the book? Do you think the author effectively develop those themes?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I think one of the themes the author highlights is the role of mysticism in ancient cultures. The Romans had their gods while the Celts had their own, but similar gods. These gods were often used to influence important decisions and gain public acceptance of choices. This is seen in the beginning of the novel when the King tells Agrona to lead on the villagers about her visions. It seems to me that many cultures today still lean on their gods to influence their world view and decisions.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Bad parents. Amren makes Marrock watch his mother's execution. Rhiannon was physically abusive towards Catrin. Rhan used her son to gain more power and so did Lucius. Everyone sees their children as pawns. I don't think there was a single good parent in the entire book.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:27 I think one of the themes the author highlights is the role of mysticism in ancient cultures. The Romans had their gods while the Celts had their own, but similar gods. These gods were often used to influence important decisions and gain public acceptance of choices. This is seen in the beginning of the novel when the King tells Agrona to lead on the villagers about her visions. It seems to me that many cultures today still lean on their gods to influence their world view and decisions.
There's no doubt that ancient cultures are heavy in mysticism. Some of the crossover in similarities between Celtic and Roman deities could come from the process of conversion to more dominant religions or perhaps even just each culture having similar thought processes for explaining certain events. There'l are several theories as to how the Mayans were able to create similar pyramids to the ones built in Egypt despite never having any (recorded) contact. Maybe it isnt so much a theme as a universal experience.

Either way, I like that it shows how thought and belief systems can transcend distance.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Don Pwai »

The themes in the book are well balanced. I think that the theme of history and romance was outstanding.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

Forbidden romance. We obviously see this through Catrin and Marcellus the most.

I'm not sure if what I write next is considered a spoiler so please be warned if you haven't read the whole book.

We also see a forbidden romance between Belinus and Mor. At the beginning of the book, Mor is arranged to be married to another, yet she has a 'secret' relationship with Belinus. Rhiannon and Tristan are another pair that comes to mind. Both loved each other and even had two children together despite Rhiannon being married to Amren. The book still shows they have forbidden feelings for each long after that. Marcellus and Eliana are another pair that had a forbidden tryst and Marcellus' grandfather, Lussus, had to fall on his sword for having an affair with the daughter of Augustus.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Emilauren96 wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 08:34 Forbidden romance. We obviously see this through Catrin and Marcellus the most.

I'm not sure if what I write next is considered a spoiler so please be warned if you haven't read the whole book.

We also see a forbidden romance between Belinus and Mor. At the beginning of the book, Mor is arranged to be married to another, yet she has a 'secret' relationship with Belinus. Rhiannon and Tristan are another pair that comes to mind. Both loved each other and even had two children together despite Rhiannon being married to Amren. The book still shows they have forbidden feelings for each long after that. Marcellus and Eliana are another pair that had a forbidden tryst and Marcellus' grandfather, Lussus, had to fall on his sword for having an affair with the daughter of Augustus.
I think your comment also highlights another major theme. You have generations who are continually perpetuating the same sin their parents did. Mor is pregnant with her lovers baby just as she is supposed to be married off in an arranged marriage, just like her mother.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 09:49
Emilauren96 wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 08:34 Forbidden romance. We obviously see this through Catrin and Marcellus the most.

I think your comment also highlights another major theme. You have generations who are continually perpetuating the same sin their parents did. Mor is pregnant with her lovers baby just as she is supposed to be married off in an arranged marriage, just like her mother.

Yes! I didn't think of that, and Marcellus is constantly compared to his ancestors and how he doesn't want to end up making the same mistakes as them.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Emilauren96 wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 10:08 Yes! I didn't think of that, and Marcellus is constantly compared to his ancestors and how he doesn't want to end up making the same mistakes as them.
Children paying for the sins of their parents at their parents' own hands. And isn't Marcellus pretty much messing up in a similar way...letting love (or more likely sex) guide his decisions. Of course, he seemed ready to leave Catrin behind the minute she didn't roll over about going back to Rome with him.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Haven't yet read the book, but I'm so glad it tackles difficult topics like generational mimicry. So many people get fixated on doing something because that's how it's always been done, and I don't often see those themes focused on in books of this genre.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

AliceofX wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:54 Bad parents. Amren makes Marrock watch his mother's execution. Rhiannon was physically abusive towards Catrin. Rhan used her son to gain more power and so did Lucius. Everyone sees their children as pawns. I don't think there was a single good parent in the entire book.
I am still reading the book, but at this point I am inclined to agree.
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

History, religion and romance were predominant themes in the novel.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Themes I found were the role of women in ancient society, religious beliefs, forbidden love and politics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

My favourite themes were mysticism and role of women in ancient society, and I loved both of these themes!
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Sacrifice, love, family, betrayal there are more but these came to me first..

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”