Happy ending or not?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Happy ending or not?

Post by sush_destiny »

Realistically, it wouldn't be possible for Catrin and Marcellus to be together given the feud between their nations. But, I do wish that they have a happy ending in the book.
Chivdi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chivdi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chivdi »

I prefer the happy ever after endings like Cinderella or snow white. But then I prefer stories that are realistic as compared to forced scenes.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I think one of the overarching themes is that love can conquer all obstacles. The series now has 5 promised books, and will likely follow them as they fight against everything that tries to come between them. Is it realistic for the era? No, but I think it is an entertaining theme in a fantasy series.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

It's not a happy ending as they keep getting separated (even in the other books). Because it is a romance, you would expect them to be together happily. But there are issues keeping them apart.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

I'm a sucker for tragic endings so I would not be upset if Catrin and Marcellus did not end up together or had to sacrifice their lives in order to be with each other :wink: However, I can also see this series ending in Catrin and Marcellus ending up together, but having to pay a very high price for their love (such as the deaths of their loved ones, or having to forsake their families and homes).
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Timbria & The Magical Meadow by K. Cupp

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

The best ending in my opinion should be Catrin getting pregnant for Marcellus and then the child will be a reason for the unity of both kingdoms. Besides there is no need to deny them both love.
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

I always hope for a happy ending but I also enjoy it when there isn't a happy ending because at least that generally comes as a bit of a surprise.
Gena Ver
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gena-ver.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Gena Ver »

The alluring, and magnetic, romance between Catrin and Marcellus was one of the captivating aspects of the story that continued to spark throughout the book, even while certain adverse events began to unfold. It was noteworthy to read how their relationship started out and continued to evolve as the plot developed, particularly with the intense, political, and family dynamics set up to oppose them from each other. With all these contributing factors in consideration, I would personally prefer a more realistic ending that is still somewhat happy, only with the main facet being that the meaning of what defines a happy ending for these two lovers, would also have to evolve in accordance with their individual journey and internal struggles. Given these considerations, I think it would be very interesting to see how not only Catrin and Marcellus view and feel about their relationship together, but also how they feel about themselves as individuals. I think it is not uncommon for them at the beginning of their relationship to want to fight to be with each other given their current feelings for one another, but I think it would be great to also see other bonds of loved family members, and friends, and to read how Marcellus and Catrin balance those bonds with their romantic love for each other, which may sometimes be in opposing directions. To possibly see the love they have or that grows with a particular beloved friend or family member cause them to momentarily pause or question the strength of their romantic relationship, would be a more preferred idealistic direction for me. That is not to say I would not want them to have a happy ending with each other, but simply that the definition of happiness for both characters would have to evolve in parallel to the course of their life journey. Overall, it would be nice to see the characters grow independently from their family, political, and societal expectations later on in the novel, and make decisions for their lives and relationship together based on their independent thoughts.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”