Happy ending or not?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Happy ending or not?

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Apparently, there is no way the Celtic Princess Catrin and the handsome Roman Marcellus can be together when both their families oppose their relationship and they come from such distinct cultures and civilizations.

Would you like Linnea Tanner to turn them into star-crossed lovers like Mark Antony and Cleopatra or Romeo and Juliet or would you like the series to have a happy ending allowing them to be together?
Which ending would you prefer? Which ending would be more realistic?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 04:25 Apparently, there is no way the Celtic Princess Catrin and the handsome Roman Marcellus can be together when both their families oppose their relationship and they come from such distinct cultures and civilizations.

Would you like Linnea Tanner to turn them into star-crossed lovers like Mark Antony and Cleopatra or Romeo and Juliet or would you like the series to have a happy ending allowing them to be together?
I would like them to end together. I prefer the series to have a happy ending, even though the other path would be more realistic. I think they deserve a happy ending after all they went through...
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Realistically I would say no. Back then there weren't many marriages of people from different cultures. However, this book is not trying to be a historically accurate novel. I think the most likely outcome is either they all live happily ever after or one of them tragically dies at the end.

Another possibility is that they realize that their feelings were caused by Agrona's spell and grow apart. That would be a more unexpected outcome, but I don't think the author will go that way because nowadays everyone wants romance in their tales.

What I am more curious about is will this book go the alternate history route where they defeat the Romans. For Catrin that would be a really happy ending.
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

I think they should be together. Use it as if that is what brings the Celtics and Romans together. Maybe even help the Romans appreciate women more because he is in love, even marries one?

But historically back then, no. They would of probably been killed or shamed their family and maybe shunned as well.
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

gali wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 04:28
cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 04:25 Apparently, there is no way the Celtic Princess Catrin and the handsome Roman Marcellus can be together when both their families oppose their relationship and they come from such distinct cultures and civilizations.

I would like them to end together. I prefer the series to have a happy ending, even though the other path would be more realistic. I think they deserve a happy ending after all they went through...
Who doesn't prefer a happy ending? :) I agree with you here. I guess I would like them to leave happily ever after at least in fiction if in reality this is so difficult to happen. However, I think a tragic ending where one of them or both of them dies would be more realistic and would stick in people's minds as it happened with famous love stories.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

AliceofX wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 04:45 Realistically I would say no. Back then there weren't many marriages of people from different cultures. However, this book is not trying to be a historically accurate novel. I think the most likely outcome is either they all live happily ever after or one of them tragically dies at the end.

Another possibility is that they realize that their feelings were caused by Agrona's spell and grow apart. That would be a more unexpected outcome, but I don't think the author will go that way because nowadays everyone wants romance in their tales.

What I am more curious about is will this book go the alternate history route where they defeat the Romans. For Catrin that would be a really happy ending.
What an interesting idea, especially as I read book 2 of the series and I know the author explores the idea of alternative history although not exactly on your line of thought.
By the way, I don't think their feelings for each other were caused by Agrona's spell; she only used it to intensify their passion. :)
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

PeaceLoveNature44 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 07:07 I think they should be together. Use it as if that is what brings the Celtics and Romans together. Maybe even help the Romans appreciate women more because he is in love, even marries one?

But historically back then, no. They would of probably been killed or shamed their family and maybe shunned as well.
Politically speaking, I think it would have been an advantage for King Amren to have his daughter marry the son of a Roman senator and thus to have Roman support. However, he could also see it as practically giving the key of his kingdom to Roman invaders.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Personally, I'm against the insta-love trope...so I'm not very excited about the potential relationship of the two characters. I never felt like their relationship was thoroughly developed enough for me to truly care what happened to them.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I love happy endings. So naturally, I would like them to end up together. However, taking in consideration the time period it might not be realistic. But what can I say except that the heart wants what it wants.
Also, the both of them dying in each other's arms and meeting in an alternate realm can also be a good possibility or is that too morbidly romantic of me?
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

I would like them to be together not only because it’s good to have a happy ending but because star-crossed lovers has been over done. Also, a happy ending between two unlikely groups would leave a lovely message for today’s society, making the story timeless.
Naomin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Naomin »

I would like them to end together. I prefer the series to have a happy ending, even though the other path would be more realistic. I think they deserve a happy ending after all they went through
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Don Pwai »

I would have loved to see the lovebie getting married to one another regardless of the disparity in their social status. Love just happens. It does not follow class.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I tend to prefer a happy ending but I do still love a bittersweet ending, it somehow seems more realistic to me. I think either way is a good way to end the book, it depends on the story leading up to the end and what tone and reaction Tanner wants to end the series on.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Kajori50 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 13:11 I love happy endings. So naturally, I would like them to end up together. However, taking in consideration the time period it might not be realistic. But what can I say except that the heart wants what it wants.
Also, the both of them dying in each other's arms and meeting in an alternate realm can also be a good possibility or is that too morbidly romantic of me?
That is a possibility that I didn't even consider. I think that would take this series firmly into the realm of science fiction.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 09:19
Kajori50 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 13:11 I love happy endings. So naturally, I would like them to end up together. However, taking in consideration the time period it might not be realistic. But what can I say except that the heart wants what it wants.
That is a possibility that I didn't even consider. I think that would take this series firmly into the realm of science fiction.
True and then it would become a very unique book belonging to the genres of historical fantasy and science fiction, which would be very interesting to read.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”