Happy ending or not?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Re: Happy ending or not?

Post by Zain A Blade »

I prefer a realistic ending, one that sends a clear message to all who dare to take impossible risks.
Rodrigo Niguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodrigo-niguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Rodrigo Niguez »

How nice would it be for the lovebirds to end up together! Social classes should not be a basis for contracting marriages.
Amelia Suratos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-suratos.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Amelia Suratos »

I prefer a happy ending so I cannot choose Romeo and Juliet because they both died. Also, I don't like cleopatra and Caesar because in my own opinion cleopatra just used her beauty to lure the man.
Amelia Suratos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-suratos.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Amelia Suratos »

Zain A Blade wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 14:47 I prefer a realistic ending, one that sends a clear message to all who dare to take impossible risks.
I agrer on this one, a realistic happy ending. I dont know if that is even possible but hey! Everyone can dream right?
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

Kajori50 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 13:11 I love happy endings. So naturally, I would like them to end up together. However, taking in consideration the time period it might not be realistic. But what can I say except that the heart wants what it wants.
Also, the both of them dying in each other's arms and meeting in an alternate realm can also be a good possibility or is that too morbidly romantic of me?
I'm a big fan of happy endings, and I liked Catrin and Marcellus so much that I wanted to see them together. Unfortunately, as I was reading the book I came to the conclusion that you did, their union is quite impossible for the time period and the respective cultures. I can't wait to find out what happens in the second book, but as much as I'm thinking about it, I can't imagine a perfect romantic ending:(
Angeleve88
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 615

Post by Angeleve88 »

It should be a happy ending because " Love conquers all!"
Ibrahim yusuf8866
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ibrahim yusuf8866 »

I love happy endings. So naturally, I would love them to end up together
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

This is something I think about. I would surely love them to end up together. However, I cannot see a way for that to be possible. She is a Celtic Princess, a warrior, and a mystic. She has an important role in her father’s kingdom. Marcellus is Marc Anthony’s grandson, meaning he is of the elite Roman class. He is suppose marry to a Roman lady of his same class. On top of that, the Romans see the Celts as barbarians while the Celts think of the Romans as their enemies.

The only way Marcellus could take her to Rome would be as a concubine, which not fair at all for her. Princess Catrin, on the other hand, could take him with her to her land, but her people would never forgive her.

I cannot wait to read the next installment in which it seems like they go to war.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Lucas Kalinic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucas-kalinic.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Lucas Kalinic »

I would have preferred a Romeo and Julliet ending. It would be nice to see the two lovebirds ending up to together.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

There were marriages of people from different cultures two thousand years ago, but the two people probably weren’t in their cultures’ ruling classes unless it was arranged, and that means that the two cultures weren’t in open conflict. Because, uh, spoiler, Rome and the Cantiaci are on the verge of war at the end of Apollo’s Raven. So the unrealistic thing would be a Celtic royal daughter and a Roman Senator’s son marrying without almost complete opposition from their families (fathers) and cultures.

I’d want to see that huge pushback, to feel that it is hopeless, to watch Rome and the Cantiaci go up to or into war, before I’d believe Catrin and Marcellus could realistically get together if they overcame all of that.

I’d also expect Catrin to be betrothed again to some other Celtic man (warrior or not, of the Cantiaci tribe or not) and for that to have to be overcome by her and Marcellus.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
ssnv893
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ssnv893.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Faith by Mark M. Bello

Post by ssnv893 »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:14 Personally, I'm against the insta-love trope...so I'm not very excited about the potential relationship of the two characters. I never felt like their relationship was thoroughly developed enough for me to truly care what happened to them.
I 100% agree with this!
Angelique Bahormal
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelique-bahormal.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Angelique Bahormal »

I love happy endings. They deserve to be reunited after all they went through but will the Celtics and Romans appreciate this love story between them. According to the time period, it might not be realistic. They would probably be killed or put in prison by their own family.
kclarke07
Favorite Author: John Flanagan
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kclarke07.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B01EUC7NPI
fav_author_id: 4299

Post by kclarke07 »

Personally, I appreciate novel's that induce readers into believing the plot can only develop in a few, set ways before completing shifting the plot and it's events. I don't like novels that are predictable (with the exception of the happy ending arc... we are all suckers for something).

I wish Catrin and Marcellus could have become a stronger couple that stood fast through the trials of their life, but I hoped that the author wouldn't choose to force one half of the couple into the world of the other, but rather forge a new path for them. Perhaps a voyage to Imperial China?
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

A happy ending would be nice - but improbable. Catrin is just beginning to discover her powers. Marcellus, up until now, has been kind of a wimp, (maybe purposefully??). Also, we don't know if Catrin is already pregnant! How would a child affect her feelings toward Marcellus? The author has done an outstanding job of leaving the doors open to all kinds of possibilities.
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

I don't see why in the future they cannot be together. King Amren is still allied to Rome.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”