Happy ending or not?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Tsumaronny
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Happy ending or not?

Post by Tsumaronny »

I do love happy endings but some times, we need to hear something that we all didn't expect. Monotony should be broken. This means that: for this story to be more interesting, one of the two should die tragically and leave the other thinking about it
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

I feel like any ending could work for me. I could see the star-crossed lovers angle where one of them dies but then one is left alone which would be a depressing ending. But I also would like that after all of their fighting to keep their relationship alive that there would be a time where they do not need to fight anymore and can just be happy.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I would prefer a happy ending but I’m not sure it’s realistic; I guess it depends how many books & how the story evolves. I think there are quite a few ways to insure that Catrin & Marcellus have a happy ending together.
Genuine501
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Genuine501 »

I would like them to be together not only because it’s good to have a happy ending but because star-crossed lovers has been over done. Also, a happy ending between two unlikely groups would leave a lovely message for today’s society, making the story timeless.

Politically speaking, I think it would have been an advantage for King Amren to have his daughter marry the son of a Roman senator and thus to have Roman support. However, he could also see it as practically giving the key of his kingdom to Roman invaders.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Genuine501 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 01:39 I would like them to be together not only because it’s good to have a happy ending but because star-crossed lovers has been over done. Also, a happy ending between two unlikely groups would leave a lovely message for today’s society, making the story timeless.

Politically speaking, I think it would have been an advantage for King Amren to have his daughter marry the son of a Roman senator and thus to have Roman support. However, he could also see it as practically giving the key of his kingdom to Roman invaders.
I think a key issue preventing a marriage between the two is that the Romans view King Amren's people as worthless savages. Marcellus's father wouldn't waste marrying off his son for a tribal territory he can just gain control of through political maneuvering or war.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

Maybe it's not realistic but it still would be nice
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

I was disappointed by the books ending.It was harsh. Catrin and Marcellus ought to end up together.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Ending up as star-crossed lovers may be more realistic but I prefer happy endings.Such endings give hope.I want them to be together.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

they should meet each other for ever for the sake of their true love. Its my preference.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I have read the sample and am deciding whether to read the whole book. I am pleased to hear, from this discussion, that the romance isn't tied up too neatly in this novel. That is a plus for me. Happy endings always feel contrived and pull me out of the story to some degree.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Elizabeth Gipson
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-gipson.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Elizabeth Gipson »

Personally, I enjoyed the book, and how it inspired emotion as I read throughout the chapters. I felt anger, anxiety, excitement, and concern for the main characters. I don't personally completely agree with the ending because I think that the first two chapters into the second book would have lead into a better ending stopping point, Catrin just says "Good-bye my love". I don't get upset when a book has a conflicted ending of happy and sad considering it is a happy ending that both lovers are still alive, and that Marcellous had chosen to follow his heart in the end. But it is sad because they are not allowed to be together. I personally do get annoyed when the star crossed lovers theme is over done. I believe at some point they should make it together, whether it be in life, or in death. But clearly that can't happen now, because there is obviously a 2 book, and there are at least 2 more events that need to take place for them to even have a chance of being together. So to be clear, play the star crossed lovers deal to an extent, but don't keep it that way.
SMwathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smwathi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by SMwathi »

I prefer happy endings and I hope this one will be.
BookDragon100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookdragon100.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by BookDragon100 »

I am an absolute hopeless romantic. I will vote happily ever after in love every time! I like cheesy love stories and happy endings more than anything. I have too much empathy to handle heart-break. I don't want to read something that is just going to make me sad. Plus it's hard to read while crying.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

I would like some version of a happy ending. My life is stressful enough without reading books that end unpleasantly. I know there's a place for grim dark historical fantasy, but man, I'm all Game of Thrones-ed out.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I'd want them to end up together, of course. I'd choose a happy ending every single time if someone asks me! :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”