Religion and beliefs

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
CBCollinsReview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbcollinsreview.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Re: Religion and beliefs

Post by CBCollinsReview »

The religious beliefs of both the Roman's and the Celtics were a crucial part of their societal makeup. It was interesting to see how both groups incorporated their gods in political settings. One thing I did find annoying throughout the book was Marcellus continual declarations of "Sweet Venus" or "Firey Hades." Had these comments been made sparingly, I would have liked the added dialogue, but it got to the point where he was saying such things far too often.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I really didn't feel the presence of gods or goddesses in the book. The characters consult the gods, but they don't even do so truthfully.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

Even as an atheist I still have to admit that religions still have a huge influence in our cultures and societies. And that used to be something even more important in Ancient Societies. I believe the book made a good portrayal of it. But I still didn't agree with the whole 'character being able defy gods and shape destiny at will'.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Personally, I love it when authors mix mythology into books. Religion was an extremely important factor in the past. I like how it is portrayed in this book as well.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:16 To me, it felt as if there really were no gods or goddesses, just everyday people pretending to interpret messages from their gods. While there were elements of mysticism, I never got the feeling that actual gods were at play shaping the destiny of the characters.
It was the norms of those times, the Gods made little impact but were given credit for any great significant incident.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”