Religion and beliefs

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Re: Religion and beliefs

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

I was actually disappointed about their lack of presence in the book. I don't think any of the 12 were even mentioned save for Apollo and Hades. Not even Zeus. I feel like they would be mentioned much more in those days. I mean, not even Ares!
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Shalomsamuels1 wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 09:24 I was actually disappointed about their lack of presence in the book. I don't think any of the 12 were even mentioned save for Apollo and Hades. Not even Zeus. I feel like they would be mentioned much more in those days. I mean, not even Ares!
Well, the story takes place in Celtic Britain, so I don't see why Greek gods would be mentioned that much, if at all.
Ravinder+Kaur
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravinder-kaur.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: Kindle

Post by Ravinder+Kaur »

CommMayo wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 22:16
Kgaelsdottir wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 19:52 Your comment helps make me want to read the book even more now...do you think it was intentional on the author's part to have it be cursory, or do you think it was about not really delving too much into the mystical aspects of the spirituality?
CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:16 To me, it felt as if there really were no gods or goddesses, just everyday people pretending to interpret messages from their gods. While there were elements of mysticism, I never got the feeling that actual gods were at play shaping the destiny of the characters.
I think it was totally intentional. It shows how rulers used the beliefs of their people to keep them under control. There is a scene in the beginning where the king tells the mystic how to interpret an omen from the gods so the villagers are appeased.
Very true. Religion is still used the same way it was ages ago. It was Kings or rulers then, it is the priests, pastors or the so-called messengers of God now. They deliver to you the version of the holy scripts as suits them.
Princess Clara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princess-clara.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Princess Clara »

Sometimes, I believe that those ancient godd and goddesses actually existed. That might sound illogical but its what I believe. There were supreme beings that performed wonders to the people.
oge123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oge123.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by oge123 »

PeaceLoveNature44 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 06:53 Do you see the power Gods and Goddesses and how they intervene with the story? They say they can change the peoples life in a whim. Do they put to much thought into it, and actually change their own?
Supernatural powers interfere in the lives of those who believe in them.
The characters believed in the existence of these powers and their ability to change their fate.
Shalomsamuels1
Currently Reading:

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

AliceofX wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 09:35
Shalomsamuels1 wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 09:24 I was actually disappointed about their lack of presence in the book. I don't think any of the 12 were even mentioned save for Apollo and Hades. Not even Zeus. I feel like they would be mentioned much more in those days. I mean, not even Ares!
Well, the story takes place in Celtic Britain, so I don't see why Greek gods would be mentioned that much, if at all.
Your correct, I was referring to their Roman counterparts which I feel still should play a part.
Shalomsamuels1
Currently Reading:

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

I used their Greek names seeing as Marcellus refers to Hades though he should have referred to Pluto.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Ravinder+Kaur wrote: 28 Sep 2018, 12:07 Very true. Religion is still used the same way it was ages ago. It was Kings or rulers then, it is the priests, pastors or the so-called messengers of God now. They deliver to you the version of the holy scripts as suits them.
Bingo! Just look at how different the current Pope is compared to the last. He is a single person guiding the Catholic religion throughout the world. He is leading by his own interpretation of scripture.
Wa_hu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wa-hu.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Wa_hu »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:16 To me, it felt as if there really were no gods or goddesses, just everyday people pretending to interpret messages from their gods. While there were elements of mysticism, I never got the feeling that actual gods were at play shaping the destiny of the characters.
Neither did I, they were mostly just relying on their own judgement.
skarllette13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by skarllette13 »

I am still reading this book, but I instantly took a liking to this book. I am drawn more to the fact that they mentioned one of my deities in the book (among other things). I like Catrin because she kind of reminds me of myself, however, I'm not finished reading it. I left off on the part where Marcellus stayed as a hostage, and Catrin's oldest sister left with Marcellus' father and army. I find myself wanting the day to go by quickly just to have time to myself and read it. At this time, I really pace myself. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

AliceofX wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 01:55
Don Pwai wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 00:22 I do not think there are societies that still believe in gods and goddesses.
Tell that to the 1 billion Hindus.
Exactly. Or 520 million Buddhists or the Serer in Africa.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

I think it portrays well since it is about a time when gods and goddesses ruled. It wouldn't hurt the story had they not been written in but I feel that it help make the story more real rather than a quick read.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I think the author was able to portray the presence of the gods and goddesses fairly enough.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

I think this would be viewed in the context of whichever era one reasons from. before civilization, gods took the center-stage in almost everything. In modern society the story is different as so many people don't belief in the power of gods.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

Gods and goddesses can and do sometimes act on a whim because they act mostly as humans do, they just happen to have more power and because of that, more ability to do good or to destroy. Only the True God is holy because He acts with purity of intention and does not act on a whim.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”