Religion and beliefs

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Re: Religion and beliefs

Post by Kristy Khem »

Strong beliefs in gods and goddesses intervening in the lives of ordinary humans were a big part of early civilizations. Even today, in some spiritual practices like hinduism, this is still a big deal. Sure, it is up to us to make a change in our lives or change the path we think we're meant to walk on, but on some level, there is a spiritual guiding force. It is always a good idea to live hand in hand with a belief that supports you in all aspects of your life. In this way, you can change your life and know that your God/s will be looking out for you and helping you along the way
Last edited by Kristy Khem on 02 Sep 2018, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Of course, gods and goddesses can change someone's fate and intervene in ordinary human lives. This is a law of the universe and has been around since early civilizations...even when people were nomads or forest dwellers.
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

Any language translated is sometimes misunderstood. Language is hard to get exact meaning. In anything, there are different versions and interpretations. Just like the Romans and Celtics probably believed most the same things, but their own interpretation or how they saw it.
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 12:07
DancingLady wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 11:50 I don’t believe that for a second. The scriptures are the very word of God, written exactly as He wants them and preserved by His power working through man. It’s not my place to convince anyone of this or anything else related to Christianity though, I will leave that to God.

But yes, when it comes to history, different cultures will definitely depicts others through the lens of their own beliefs and experiences, so it’s tather difficult to know what the people actually believed unless you have their own words written down with a lot of detail and clarity.
So you believe that there was zero bias present when the King James Bible was translated? It was a translation, based on a translation, based on other translations. There are many different translations of the Bible, with a multitude of differences between them. Are all but one wrong? Can they all be correct if they all God's word being written through man? Is the Classical Hebrew Bible the only truly correct Bible?
This is not the time and place for this discussion.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

DancingLady wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 14:52 This is not the time and place for this discussion.
I apologize, didn't mean to push buttons. I studied religion in undergrad, so I enjoy a bit of a lively debate about the many facets of belief and the history of our religious texts.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 12:07 It was a translation, based on a translation, based on other translations. There are many different translations of the Bible, with a multitude of differences between them.
Such as? People always bring that up, but they never seem to give concrete examples of something that was drastically changed or lost in translation.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

AliceofX wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 08:27 Such as? People always bring that up, but they never seem to give concrete examples of something that was drastically changed or lost in translation.
This is a really great website that allows you to compare the different versions. The link should take you to a comparison of the different translations of Psalms 51:5. The major difference is addressing the sin of the mother versus the sin of the child. Are we born of sinners or are we born as sinners?
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

PeaceLoveNature44 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 06:53 Do you see the power Gods and Goddesses and how they intervene with the story? They say they can change the peoples life in a whim. Do they put to much thought into it, and actually change their own?
I think the people themselves assigned the power to the ancient Gods and Goddesses that they believed in.
PeaceLoveNature44

Britty01 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 17:01
PeaceLoveNature44 wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 06:53 Do you see the power Gods and Goddesses and how they intervene with the story? They say they can change the peoples life in a whim. Do they put to much thought into it, and actually change their own?
I think the people themselves assigned the power to the ancient Gods and Goddesses that they believed in.
I understand what you are saying. Right from the beginning they show that. The father of Catrin tells her to pretty much say the Gods/Apollo says it is fine, even though it was actually a bad sign. Sometimes the commoners gave to much power to the Gods, when it was the royalty that really decided.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
― Mahatma Gandhi
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

Yeah, they could change the course of the story. some Gods and Goddess were having extraordinary powers.
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:16 To me, it felt as if there really were no gods or goddesses, just everyday people pretending to interpret messages from their gods. While there were elements of mysticism, I never got the feeling that actual gods were at play shaping the destiny of the characters.
I definitely agree with this. There wasn't a definite character shaping the destiny which made it feel more like interpretation. This felt a lot more "real" as that's basically how religion is now.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I found it interesting that many of the references to Apollo were about flames and burning. The prayers to him were for guidance (p. 324) and protection (p. 159). In contrast, Agrona is identified as the spiritual advisor to King Amren. Her powers are described in greater detail. There is a detailed description of the sacrifice of a ram while the people dance in a circle and cry, "Show us the light." The idea of shapeshifting is also associated with Agrona. Curses, death, power and control reign in this religion. Apollo seems to portray the light, Agrona is the darnkess.
PeaceLoveNature44

kdstrack wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 20:11 I found it interesting that many of the references to Apollo were about flames and burning. The prayers to him were for guidance (p. 324) and protection (p. 159). In contrast, Agrona is identified as the spiritual advisor to King Amren. Her powers are described in greater detail. There is a detailed description of the sacrifice of a ram while the people dance in a circle and cry, "Show us the light." The idea of shapeshifting is also associated with Agrona. Curses, death, power and control reign in this religion. Apollo seems to portray the light, Agrona is the darnkess.
I agree with you on that. They do mention other Gods, but the main ones are those. They really only say the names of others. But apollo must be their main one they use. Maybe to help us relate more? Ones light, ones dark.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
― Mahatma Gandhi
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 11:11
DancingLady wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 10:43 This isn’t exactly true. Christians do not have to rely on the clergy to interpret the Bible for them. We have the Word in our own hands and the Holy Spirit in our hearts teaching us. Pastors and teachers are important and used by God, but everyone is responsible to check the words of the teachers with the scriptures themselves and make sure that the person they are listening to is speaking truth.
Yes, but much like the conversation in this forum about Celtic history being told from a Roman point of view, your scriptures are a man's interpretation of God's word. Even that lends towards bias at the hands of the authors. The holy documents you base your beliefs upon are interpretations that have been translated through many languages by men, whose biases are consciously or subconsciously being applied. I'm sure many religions would look quite different if it were only women interpreting scripture throughout history.
Yes. It is hard to argue with the fact that "God's word" has been translated and interpreted through time, by men. It is just not accurate to say there is one known "truth," and yet, it is seen that way by believers. Really, that is what faith is about. Believing in that which is not provable. Yet, whenever there is evidence to challenge those interpretations, such as with the Gnostic gospels, it is dismissed by modern religious scholars (not only men) as heresy. The foundations of the patriarchy run very deep. Great discussion.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
SMwathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smwathi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by SMwathi »

I believe this aspect of mystical powers is a good especially when it comes to historical books

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”