Shifting Point of View

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Re: Shifting Point of View

Post by Zimall »

Shifting point of view can cause much confusion to a reader like me. It might be alluring for some readers and make better sense of story but it might be a mess for some readers.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

cristinaro wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 07:58 Multiple perspectives or shifting point of view is the narrative strategy Linnea Tanner chooses to tell the story of the impossible love affair between Catrin and Marcellus. Such a strategy allows her to move from one perspective to another, including the one of the antagonist, Marrock, Catrin's half brother.

Do you think this startegy may create confusion or is it an effective way to give credibility to the story?
Is it a plus or a minus for the novel?
There are times when I dislike shifting points of view, but that is only when an author does not do a good job of clearly showing the point of view at the start of the scene or chapter. Linnea Tanner did a great job of making the point of view absolutely clear for the reader, so I had no issue with it in this book.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I think it gives credibility to the story and it wasn't confusing. You get a better sense of the characters and their motivations.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
CatholicCarry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catholiccarry.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00OD01MLY

Post by CatholicCarry »

I have a tendency to dislike shifting points of view. Too often the author doesn't change voice enough to tell which character's head you're in at the moment, so I usually end up having to go back to the beginning of the chapter to remind myself who is telling the story. However, if done well, shifting viewpoint can add to the intimate feel of the book. I'm torn...
kelsiemaxwell
Currently Reading: Home to the Harbor
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsiemaxwell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B016PUQWMI

Post by kelsiemaxwell »

The author successfully managed the shifting point of view. I think it’s a plus for the story. Getting the story from multiple viewpoints adds another dimension to the book.
“...a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I didn’t find it confusing and I appreciated the different perspectives. It kept the story interesting
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

I liked the varied perspectives. The reader could really see inside the heads of some of these characters that other methods of storytelling doesn't allow for. I thought it also made the characters seem more realistic because not all of the characters spoke or thought or acted in the same ways. some characters had massive leaps in logic, others were methodical. I enjoyed it.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Shifting points of perspective can add speed and drama to a book that a single POV usually can't manage without feeling rushed.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

For me, shifting points of view just depends on how well it is incorporated. I've read numerous books where I love it; I've read numerous books where it detracts from the story. In this book, I think it detracted from the story. It seemed like at times the only reason the perspective shift was to relay information, and not all of that information was necessary to know for the plot. I found it a bit cumbersome, and was generally annoyed by it.
kmwarren20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmwarren20.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by kmwarren20 »

For me, shifting points of view is okay in small amounts. I have read books where the story is told from 5-6 povs, and that was just annoying to me.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

When they are done well shifting points of view can add tremendous value to the story; when done badly, they can drive the reader crazy. In this book, I believe, they are done very well.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I think the author did a good job of shifting perspectives. I appreciated that each chapter was entirely written from a single character's point of view. The most recent book I read for OBC would switch perspectives several times within a single chapter, and it was incredibly frustrating. Shifting point of view helps the reader to understand each character's motives, and I think Linnea Tanner executed this well.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I love multiple perspectives. It's interesting seeing everybody's POV and their thoughts.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

For me, the shifting point of view was a big plus. I did not find it confusing at all, and actually found that it added suspense to the story. I always felt excited when the author switched to the point of view of a different character, as I was curious to read about the events that were happening elsewhere. The shifting point of view also helped underscore that Catrin was not the only main character in this story, but that Marcellus, Marrock, Rhan, and Catrin's parents were just as important to the fate of the Cantiaci kingdom.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”