Shapeshifting

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Shapeshifting

Post by CommMayo »

Midway through the novel, we are introduced to Catrin's brother who can shapeshift into a wolf. Do you think this element of shapeshifting is properly tied into the story or does it detract from the overall novel? Does it support the aura of mysticism the author is trying to convey or does it make it too much like any other fantasy novel?
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

CommMayo wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 11:00 Midway through the novel, we are introduced to Catrin's brother who can shapeshift into a wolf. Do you think this element of shapeshifting is properly tied into the story or does it detract from the overall novel? Does it support the aura of mysticism the author is trying to convey or does it make it too much like any other fantasy novel?
I thought it was well done and properly tied into the story. It added to the aura of mysticism.

Spoiler
__
__
__
__
__
__
The one thing that didn't added up was the ability of Marrock to change others. It was a bit too much.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

It seems to be well done to me. I've always interpreted wolves as mystical creatures, so the ability to shape shift into a wolf doesn't detract from my reading experience. Plus, this book does have some fantastical elements to it, so it's not too much of a stretch to have that ability in this book.
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Don Pwai »

Shapeshifting makes the novel to sound more of a fantasy. That does not happen in real society. It is possible fictions.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I have yet to read the book, please correct me if I am wrong. Is it written like magical realism?
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I usually like stories about shapeshifting and also enjoyed it in this book. I thought it worked with the overall mysticism of the book. The book is historical fiction but clearly also a fantastical and magical story.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

gen_g wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 03:40 I have yet to read the book, please correct me if I am wrong. Is it written like magical realism?
To me, it is written like "Oh, I know, I'll include someone who can shapeshift into a wolf." At the beginning, the book was like a historical fiction with some mysticism mixed in. It then got strange with the shapeshifting and then Catrin's ability to see the futures connected to individuals when she goes into another realm.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I think it slightly fits, right from the beginning Catrin can see through the eyes of her raven and I feel that has the same type of mystical properties as shapeshifting. I think maybe if there were more shapeshifters in the story, it may not stick out so much. I'm hoping there are more fantasy elements in the next book so this doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I have no problem with shapeshifting, really, but having a man turn into a wolf seems at this point to be almost as overdone a trope as having a vampire turn into a bat.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 09:58
gen_g wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 03:40 I have yet to read the book, please correct me if I am wrong. Is it written like magical realism?
To me, it is written like "Oh, I know, I'll include someone who can shapeshift into a wolf." At the beginning, the book was like a historical fiction with some mysticism mixed in. It then got strange with the shapeshifting and then Catrin's ability to see the futures connected to individuals when she goes into another realm.
I've only read the review but based on it and the comments I've read, I was wondering about this too. Thanks for clarifying. I dislike when elements are added to the plot that seem like an afterthought.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Cecilia_L wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 16:17
I've only read the review but based on it and the comments I've read, I was wondering about this too. Thanks for clarifying. I dislike when elements are added to the plot that seem like an afterthought.
The wolf thing is kind of integral to the plot, but it just didn't seem like it fit in for me. I think I decided to suspend a certain amount of belief when I started the book and then the shapeshifting thing just took it too far out of the park for me. Based on the comments, I seem to be the only person who thinks that this wasn't worth the time to read.
FilmStar
Currently Reading: Rich and Pretty
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-filmstar.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by FilmStar »

I liked the shapeshifting. I mean, they are siblings so it would make sense for both of them to inherit the gift and I can imagine a battle between the two of them in the future using their shapeshifting skills.
TessaC
Currently Reading: Lara's Journal
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessac.html
Latest Review: Elastic Girl by Olivia Rana

Post by TessaC »

I think the whole shape shifting makes it seem to "Twilight" like and too over the top for me. Maybe the half brother could just see with the wolves eyes instead of a total morph. And the sex scenes with the wolves is putting the story in another genre altogether
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I think shapeshifting makes a book fun, but as some others have pointed out, using a wolf is overdone. It would be neat if another animal had been used. I am excited to read and see how the author introduces this aspect into the story.
Mac :techie-reference:
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Oh my! It sounds like it's kind of messy... The premise is interesting from what I've seen so far, but perhaps the author got slightly carried away? :lol:

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”