Too Many Conflicts?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Too Many Conflicts?

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

In the book Apollo's Raven, there were many conflicts containing
a conflict between Catrin and her mother,
a conflict between the parents and Marcellus,
a conflict between the Celtic culture and Roman culture, and
a conflict between the love relationship of Catrin with Marcellus and their parents and countries.
But the strongest conflict that I felt was between Marcellus and his parents for the safety of his love relationship with Catrin. But it was only Marcellus who got ready to sacrifice his all things for the sake of Catrin.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

There needs to be a balance. Too much conflict can be confusing, and too little can be boring.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

The many conflicts were a little hard to follow at times, but without them, there wouldn't have been much of a story - especially since I didn't much care for the characters. I wouldn't have been able to make it through the book if there hadn't been so many issues I wanted to see resolved.
Michael Kevin
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-kevin.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Michael Kevin »

In my humble opinion I think all these conflicts and twists formed the backbone of this story.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

I honestly thought the conflict management was the best part of the book. There was a lot going on, but I was able to keep it all straight pretty easily. To me it was actually a strength in this book.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I feel if a book has too many conflicts then it slows the book down. Sometimes it makes the book uninteresting to read.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

It feels to be as if the author bit off a little more than she could chew with this book. I found it becoming entirely too complex at some points and too cliche and oversimplified at other times. If the author was planning to create a full series, I think there needed to be at least some sort of conclusion to at least one of the conflicts at the end of the first book to encourage readers to want to continue with the series.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

As a writer, I think conflicts help make a book more interesting and thrills the reader more but there's a really thin line between that and overdoing it
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I agree that balance is key. While some conflict adds interest and character development, too much becomes confusing.
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by KMSingh »

I think there was a good mix of subplots that supported the main plot and gave it complexity. That being said, I think the motives of a couple of the characters could have been a little clearer, especially Rhiannon and Trystan. Their relationship was pretty clear, but sometimes the motives got a bit muddled.
Kate S.

My only addiction is books.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Kareka88 wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 08:20
Cassandra Keeney wrote: 09 Sep 2018, 12:22 I found the conflicts were useful in terms of character development. I agree it was difficult to determine the most relevant at times, however as it is part of a series, I presume that some will return in later books.
I agree with Cassandra. Conflicts add to character development. You learn a lot about a person in how they handle conflict. Many times you can relate more to a character by watching them solve conflicts in their lives. Did you find yourself empathizing with the characters in the midst of their conflicts? I’d be interested to know.
Yeah. I concur. The conflicts really helped build interest. The conflicts had a good climax. Books such as this need to have many conflicts because in the real history, that's what happened.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Bon0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bon0.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Bon0 »

I think conflicts are interesting, but not if they create confusion.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

All of the conflicts not only establish the characters, it also creates a solid foundation for the next book in a series.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Too many conflicts can be distracting. However, for this particular story based on the fact that we are dealing with ancient civilizations, it seemed plausible that these kinds of things would occur. Rhiannon has 2 daughters by one man, and one daughter by King Amren her husband. She is listening to both fathers. The Celtic tribes rely a lot on their superstitions and are easily deceived by the druidess. When all of those things were pulled together it did help the ending fall in place. Whether in conflict or political upheaval there are always multiple things going on, situations and loyalties can change rapidly.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

KMSingh wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 21:51 I think there was a good mix of subplots that supported the main plot and gave it complexity. That being said, I think the motives of a couple of the characters could have been a little clearer, especially Rhiannon and Trystan. Their relationship was pretty clear, but sometimes the motives got a bit muddled.
I mostly agree with you on this. Do you think the subplot of her sister, Vala, was dropped on purpose so she could have a larger role in a future book? Or do you think she was treated as a minor character who was just taking out of the way when she was sent with the Roman soldiers?

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”