Catrin's Parents

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
BookDragon100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookdragon100.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Catrin's Parents

Post by BookDragon100 »

What do you think of the relationship between Catrin's parents? Do you think that it's a believable one?
It seems a bit twisted in some places, but there does seem to be love there to me. Or is it just mutual respect?
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

It seemed like an arranged marriage to me - respectful, but not what we would call love. And this has been mentioned in different discussions, but the fact that Amren tolerated Rhiannon's affair with Trystan just didn't make sense given the time period we're talking about.
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I'm not convinced it's a marriage made from love. It seems to me that Rihannon has feelings for Trystan but out of respect is no longer seeing him, even though we can see her thoughts that suggest she still loves him. It is said that Rhiannon was given to Amren as a prize, that their marriage could bond their kingdoms together in peace and create a strong political alliance. To me, there are no strong indications that they both truly and madly love each other, but I do sense a strong respect for one another.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think it was just a marriage of convenience. Amren wanted a queen to reign at his side. Rhiannon wants power. She is willing to remain faithful to her marriage seeing that she is next in line to inherit the throne. I do think Amren has true feelings for her, but Rhiannon seems cold.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

It is not a love match. If you read the book, it is clear that Amren is much older than his Queen and she was pregnant with Trystan's child when they married. Amren only put up with the ongoing affair because of the curse that he was going to have a child that would make his entire world implode. From what I remember, Agrona put a spell on them to get them to make Catrin. They kind of remind me of the lead couple in House of Cards. They had a common goal in their relationship: Power.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 11:18 It is not a love match. If you read the book, it is clear that Amren is much older than his Queen and she was pregnant with Trystan's child when they married. Amren only put up with the ongoing affair because of the curse that he was going to have a child that would make his entire world implode. From what I remember, Agrona put a spell on them to get them to make Catrin. They kind of remind me of the lead couple in House of Cards. They had a common goal in their relationship: Power.
I agree with the House of Cards comparison. They are willing to work together for this common goal: POWER!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

kdstrack wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 13:08 I agree with the House of Cards comparison. They are willing to work together for this common goal: POWER!
I was worried that not enough people would get the House of Cards reference, but that was what I was thinking throughout the book. At least they have a common goal to work towards, even if it isn't their relationship. I found myself pulling for Trystan.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 13:14
kdstrack wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 13:08 I agree with the House of Cards comparison. They are willing to work together for this common goal: POWER!
I was worried that not enough people would get the House of Cards reference, but that was what I was thinking throughout the book. At least they have a common goal to work towards, even if it isn't their relationship. I found myself pulling for Trystan.
I wondered, too, about Trystan's motivations. I do believe he truly has a deep love for Rhianna. At the same time, should the king be assassinated and he could get Rhianna to take him back - he would be sitting very pretty!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

kdstrack wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 14:12
I wondered, too, about Trystan's motivations. I do believe he truly has a deep love for Rhianna. At the same time, should the king be assassinated and he could get Rhianna to take him back - he would be sitting very pretty!
I agree. I think if the King was out of the picture, she would go right back to Trystan. I think there was a lot of foreshadowing of that happening or of their relationship growing more complex in subsequent books.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 14:22

I agree. I think if the King was out of the picture, she would go right back to Trystan. I think there was a lot of foreshadowing of that happening or of their relationship growing more complex in subsequent books.
But you know, if we start considering Trystan's power play, then you have to bring Vala back into the picture? How power hungry is she?
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

kdstrack wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 16:03
But you know, if we start considering Trystan's power play, then you have to bring Vala back into the picture? How power hungry is she?
Ohhhh, I would love to see Vala come back into the picture. She was such a minor character in the book, but I thought there was a lot of foreshadowing about her just from the few mentions we had about her. I would be surprised if she had practically taken over the Roman's camp from them!
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

I do not think they are in love with each other, but I do think that there is love there, or more so respect. As some stated above their marriage was arranged, but I would have to say that with them spending so many years together, there is some form of respect and maybe a little love for one another; however, I do not think they are in love with one another.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 16:24
kdstrack wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 16:03

Ohhhh, I would love to see Vala come back into the picture. She was such a minor character in the book, but I thought there was a lot of foreshadowing about her just from the few mentions we had about her. I would be surprised if she had practically taken over the Roman's camp from them!
I think Vala could be the sleeper, the Sleeping Beauty! The author tried too hard to downplay her - big, clumsy, unattractive. I agree with you - her talents are yet to be revealed.
sharkyjen998
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharkyjen998.html

Post by sharkyjen998 »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Sep 2018, 11:18 It is not a love match. If you read the book, it is clear that Amren is much older than his Queen and she was pregnant with Trystan's child when they married. Amren only put up with the ongoing affair because of the curse that he was going to have a child that would make his entire world implode. From what I remember, Agrona put a spell on them to get them to make Catrin. They kind of remind me of the lead couple in House of Cards. They had a common goal in their relationship: Power.
Yes, I do think it's realistic and I totally agree with CommMayo! It was all about power and their "duty" to do what was expected of them.
BookDragon100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookdragon100.html

Post by BookDragon100 »

AliceofX wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 03:39 It seemed like an arranged marriage to me - respectful, but not what we would call love. And this has been mentioned in different discussions, but the fact that Amren tolerated Rhiannon's affair with Trystan just didn't make sense given the time period we're talking about.
It's definitely an arranged marriage, but I think Amren really does love Rhiannon. I think if Trystan wasn't right in front of her face everyday she could even grow to love him.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”