The Villains

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

The Villains

Post by AliceofX »

What did you think of the book's villains? Who do you think the biggest villain was? Personally, I think it was Agrona. In comparison, Marrock had very little presence. She was also the most direct threat to Catrin. However, I think in the future Marrock might become the main villain of the story. What do you think?
Emi_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emi-review.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Emi_Review »

I agree. Agrona was the most present and direct threat to Catrin. But in the next book, I think we'll see a lot more of the conflict between the Romans and the Celtics. So it makes me wonder how much of a role Marrock and Agrona will play.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I think that the Romans pose the largest threat to the Celtics and the Romans in the homeland are posing a threat the the Romans abroad. The father of Marcellus has the ability to make two kingdoms implode with his meddling.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I guess that in future story Marrock would be portrayed as main villain and in the present series it may be just an introduction of Marrock.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Chandler_Greg »

Agrona, or more properly, Rahn has the most power over Catrin, but is largely acting in her son, Marrock's, best interest. At the same time, she is afraid of Marrock and his mad bouts of anger. I think raping his pre-pubescent sister (evidenced by her memory of the stained wolf skin) and his beheading of two other children sets Marrock off as a first-class villain. If the Roman's do set Marrock up as king, he is likely to take a larger and more active role in the series. He has vowed to kill all of his family, inviting a titanic clash with his youngest sister, Catrin.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Chandler_Greg wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 10:58 Agrona, or more properly, Rahn has the most power over Catrin, but is largely acting in her son, Marrock's, best interest.
Is she acting in Marrock's interests? Because there didn't seem to be much unity between the two. I think in the future there's going to be conflict between them and they're going to turn on each other. It seems to me that that's what the story is leading to.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Chandler_Greg wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 10:58 Agrona, or more properly, Rahn has the most power over Catrin, but is largely acting in her son, Marrock's, best interest. At the same time, she is afraid of Marrock and his mad bouts of anger. I think raping his pre-pubescent sister (evidenced by her memory of the stained wolf skin) and his beheading of two other children sets Marrock off as a first-class villain. If the Roman's do set Marrock up as king, he is likely to take a larger and more active role in the series. He has vowed to kill all of his family, inviting a titanic clash with his youngest sister, Catrin.
You took the words right out of my thumbs. But I think Marrock is the main villain. Though he wasn't much active in this book. The king and the whole family are afraid of him, especially taking over the throne. Agrona is just an intro villain.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Agrona is definitely the biggest threat, but I'm guessing that Marrock's presence will become more noticeable.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Agrona was the main villain as she had Rhan's power when Rhan was beheaded, which I suppose is what gave Agrona the ability to speak. She managed to deceive everyone, except Catrin. Catrin has saved Marcellus twice, but the other prophecy still hangs in the air. It will be interesting to find out.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson

Post by lesler »

I agree that Marrock had little to do with the story, but he was still the biggest anti-hero of the novel. His physical violence towards the main character was graphic enough to make him the biggest villain in my thoughts.
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

AliceofX wrote: 12 Sep 2018, 09:54 What did you think of the book's villains? Who do you think the biggest villain was? Personally, I think it was Agrona. In comparison, Marrock had very little presence. She was also the most direct threat to Catrin. However, I think in the future Marrock might become the main villain of the story. What do you think?
Agrona isn't much of a villain, she doesn't do much except against Catrin. Marrock is attempting to kill his family and take the throne.
jhalwix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhalwix.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by jhalwix »

I think that Agrona as the main villain for this part of the story makes sense. She's the one that's directly trying to hurt Catrin and pushes Marrock into believing the curse and that he's destined kill his family. The set up for Marrock to be the main antagonist fell short in this one, but I can definitely see him as the main antagonist in later books.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Perhaps ambition and greed are the greatest villains in this story. These qualities would surely encompass many of the antagonists in the novel.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

Marrock scares me the most. The gruesome beheadings he's done, the hunting in wolf form, and the pleasure he takes from committing heinous crimes all make him the scariest villain of the novel.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

jhalwix wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 14:46 I think that Agrona as the main villain for this part of the story makes sense. She's the one that's directly trying to hurt Catrin and pushes Marrock into believing the curse and that he's destined kill his family. The set up for Marrock to be the main antagonist fell short in this one, but I can definitely see him as the main antagonist in later books.
That's an interesting idea that Marrock is being pushed into being bad by his mother Rhan/Agrona. Always the meddling mother!

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”