Princess Catrin's new mystical ability

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: Princess Catrin's new mystical ability

Post by Swiftmover07 »

Most children go against their parent's advisement under the motto of better to ask forgiveness than permission. Its a common thing in books but also real life. Sometimes you just have to learn and do things on your own
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I feel that she felt denied to be herself. That she being the youngest of the family didn't matter in respect to what she could do as a member of the royal family. I think she felt she needed something to believe in if no one would believe in her and that's why she rebelled and practiced anyways.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I wonder if the king also had mystical power since two of his children had the magic. I enjoyed the parts when Catrin was looking through her raven's eyes. Imagine the feeling of flying. How cool!
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I think that King Amren should have provided more guidance for Catrin. Telling her to suppress or ignore her abilities just led her to practice them in secret. I'm also curious about the comment he made about magic running in the family. Is he referring to Rhea or was there someone else that had magical abilities?
babyboo56000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by babyboo56000 »

It seems that Catrin's powers appear wreather she want them to or not. I believe that it was foolish of her father to tell her that she shouldn't use her powers because by him telling her that it makes using her powers more interesting to her.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 19:31 For Catrin to request the training, she must have already had some experience with her abilities. Certainly the gift would be alluring and addictive! It would be difficult to stop experimenting with such a gift. I would think that most everyone has, at one time or another, thought of having mystical powers. If we really had some, it would be hard to refrain from using them!
I agree with your analysis. As I was reading the book I got the impression that she was aware that she had the powers but was working to try and control them or experiment to find out what she could do. It was an interesting aspect to the book
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Catrin might be a princess, but is a typical teenager, curious about the vague order her father gave her. She explores her abilities because she is curious about it fails to understand the ramifications.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

The princess is a typical teenage girl at heart. Her father asked her not to do something without explaining her the real reason, and that is the first thing she does.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I don't think she was left with a choice, especially since her raven was able to take control of her mind.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I guess she kept practicing out of curiosity. Her father didn't explain the consequences that this magic had, and she wants to understand her power herself. I wouldn't call it a teenager mindset, but a human one. I guess most people in her place would have done the same.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I think she couldn't help it. I think that things started happening around her and she was forced to control it almost.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Sirajuddin wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 08:35 When king Amren denies Catrin's request to be trained in spiritual order and when she asks why, he says, "The magic is too unpredictable and often alters in deadly ways. Foresight is not a gift but a curse in our family."
Why Catrin secretly practiced her new mystical ability?
I think if anybody was told the same thing, they would want to rebel. It's a lot more exciting to do something when you arent supposed to.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

It is nice that she practiced secretly, there is a reason for everything and her power choose her for a reason and she has to live up to it.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”