Princess Catrin's new mystical ability

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 553
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Princess Catrin's new mystical ability

Post by Sirajuddin A »

When king Amren denies Catrin's request to be trained in spiritual order and when she asks why, he says, "The magic is too unpredictable and often alters in deadly ways. Foresight is not a gift but a curse in our family."
Why Catrin secretly practiced her new mystical ability?
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

I think that Catrin is a teenager, just like any in our present world. She does not believe that her father really understands her abilities, and she wants to understand the power that she has within herself.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I got the sense that her ability called to her. At certain points, it seemed almost as if she had no control over her ability at all. It was dangerous of her father not to set her up to hone her skills...of course, his reasoning for denying her is made clear later in the novel.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

For Catrin to request the training, she must have already had some experience with her abilities. Certainly the gift would be alluring and addictive! It would be difficult to stop experimenting with such a gift. I would think that most everyone has, at one time or another, thought of having mystical powers. If we really had some, it would be hard to refrain from using them!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Angelique Bahormal
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelique-bahormal.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Angelique Bahormal »

Catrin desired to be a Druidess. King Amren her father prohibited her and all the royal family to use the powers of the Ancient Druid. Despite her father’s prohibition, she disobeying him and secretly practiced her new mystical ability. When the kingdom has a political conflict with their enemy, King seems to beleive that Catrin is the only person who can save the kingdom with her mystical power.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Given her age, I think it would be appealing to experience this kind of power and ability. She probably didn't want her father to know that she was "disobeying" his wishes. This caused a conflict for her. She had to justify developing these abilities with opposing her father's wishes. - We can also see that she was not mature enough to foresee what could be some possible consequences of unleashing these powers.
Shalomsamuels1
Favorite Book: Worm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalomsamuels1.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Shalomsamuels1 »

gfowle wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 12:00 I think that Catrin is a teenager, just like any in our present world. She does not believe that her father really understands her abilities, and she wants to understand the power that she has within herself.
I tend to agree with this line of thinking with the added idea of her feeling this power at times.
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by K Geisinger »

Shalomsamuels1 wrote: 27 Sep 2018, 10:35
gfowle wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 12:00 I think that Catrin is a teenager, just like any in our present world. She does not believe that her father really understands her abilities, and she wants to understand the power that she has within herself.
I tend to agree with this line of thinking with the added idea of her feeling this power at times.
I think Catrin feeling her father does not understand her ability is only half of the answer. Teenagers feel invincible and fearless. Just because other family members may have made mistakes or had bad outcomes doesn't mean she won't be better at it.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

kdstrack wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 13:15 Given her age, I think it would be appealing to experience this kind of power and ability. She probably didn't want her father to know that she was "disobeying" his wishes. This caused a conflict for her. She had to justify developing these abilities with opposing her father's wishes. - We can also see that she was not mature enough to foresee what could be some possible consequences of unleashing these powers.
I think you are spot on about her level of maturity regarding her ability to process what she is seeing through her raven or the wider implications that power/knowledge has for her or her kingdom.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

If you're born with a beautiful voice, can you stop yourself from singing? If you're born with artistic skill, can you stop yourself from sketching? I think Catrin's gift is part of who she is. She can't deny that part of herself.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

bb587 wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 11:11 If you're born with a beautiful voice, can you stop yourself from singing? If you're born with artistic skill, can you stop yourself from sketching? I think Catrin's gift is part of who she is. She can't deny that part of herself.
That is true, but according to King Amren, Catrin's gift is more akin to shoplifting or sword swallowing. He saw great danger in her abilities, especially with the curse hanging over their heads.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

CommMayo wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 11:14
bb587 wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 11:11 If you're born with a beautiful voice, can you stop yourself from singing? If you're born with artistic skill, can you stop yourself from sketching? I think Catrin's gift is part of who she is. She can't deny that part of herself.
That is true, but according to King Amren, Catrin's gift is more akin to shoplifting or sword swallowing. He saw great danger in her abilities, especially with the curse hanging over their heads.
I don't know if sword swallowing is something that anyone's born with a need to do. But shoplifting can certainly be a compulsion. Let's add pyromancy to the mix. Shoplifters and pyromaniacs will often give into those temptations within themselves before learning to control themselves.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

CommMayo wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 11:04
kdstrack wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 13:15 Given her age, I think it would be appealing to experience this kind of power and ability. She probably didn't want her father to know that she was "disobeying" his wishes. This caused a conflict for her. She had to justify developing these abilities with opposing her father's wishes. - We can also see that she was not mature enough to foresee what could be some possible consequences of unleashing these powers.
I think you are spot on about her level of maturity regarding her ability to process what she is seeing through her raven or the wider implications that power/knowledge has for her or her kingdom.
This was an expert presentation by the author. It leaves plenty of room for Catrin's development in the rest of the series.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I was a little bit confused by the fact that her father prohibited her from using her skills early in the book, but when she comes back with a vision, he suddenly decides to have Agrona teach her.
Wa_hu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wa-hu.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Wa_hu »

I think her father could have dealt with the situation better. It's not enough to trust a teenager not to do something just because you said so.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”