Rahn/Agrona

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Rahn/Agrona

Post by Sweetp120 »

Okay so I was left with so many questions from this book that I really want to ask a couple that's been bothering me....What does Rahn have to really bring to the storyline? All she is mentioned for is cursing the king for killing her but what's the actual backstory on why she had wanted to kill him in the first place? She is mentioned as marrock's mother but at her death she transforms or inhabits agrona but it really doesn't explain in my opinion other than wanting to live why she did so? And finally what is the significance of the two in one? personality and eye description changes each time that either spirit is in control of the physical body so what do they represent to you?
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I was curious as to what happened to Agrona's personality when Rhan entered the body...Did she just vanish? Is she still in there somewhere? Or did their personalities merge?
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

It was never explained what Rhan did to merit being beheaded. What did she do that was so bad? Marrock killed children and was just banished. She must have done something worse to be put to death.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:

Post by Sweetp120 »

She was found conspiring to kill the king but it doesnt state why she would do that if they loved each other beforehand or not
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

It seemed the author was trying to say that Rhan became power hungry and that's why she conspired against the king. And them being married and having a son together doesn't necessarily mean love.
kelsiemaxwell
Currently Reading: Home to the Harbor
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsiemaxwell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B016PUQWMI

Post by kelsiemaxwell »

Rhan was accused of treason for conspiring to assassinate King Amren and assume his sovereignty. I think she inhabited Agrona’s body to exact her revenge against King Amren for beheading her. The dual nature paralleled Catrin’s link to the raven. When merging with the raven, Catrin’s spirit left her body and inhabited and controlled the bird, while her physical body was left in a state of suspended animation.
“...a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:

Post by Sweetp120 »

kelsiemaxwell wrote: 08 Nov 2018, 14:15 Rhan was accused of treason for conspiring to assassinate King Amren and assume his sovereignty. I think she inhabited Agrona’s body to exact her revenge against King Amren for beheading her. The dual nature paralleled Catrin’s link to the raven. When merging with the raven, Catrin’s spirit left her body and inhabited and controlled the bird, while her physical body was left in a state of suspended animation.
Thats an interesting point with catrin and rahn. I also wondered if because of her being born with a twin (dual spirits) that thats why she was born with the spirit of a raven which was only solidified when her twin died.(death of her second half being considered as half of her in the otherworld/afterlife) But i do enjoy the idea/thought you put forth on this. It definitely makes you wonder
kelsiemaxwell
Currently Reading: Home to the Harbor
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsiemaxwell.html
Reading Device: B016PUQWMI

Post by kelsiemaxwell »

Twins are often perceived as each being half of the whole, so the dual twin spirit is certainly a good theory. Perhaps the death of her twin not only solidified the raven as her spirit animal, but also increased her attachment to the raven, which opened her up to greater mystical power.
“...a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I was a little confused by this as well. Maybe Agrona will reveal herself in the later books? It was also unclear what caused such a shift in Rhan and King Amren's relationship. Was she always power hungry or did something happen that made her lose all feelings for him?
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:

Post by Sweetp120 »

lavellan wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 07:30 I was a little confused by this as well. Maybe Agrona will reveal herself in the later books? It was also unclear what caused such a shift in Rhan and King Amren's relationship. Was she always power hungry or did something happen that made her lose all feelings for him?
See these were the same types of questions I had. What happened that she would want to kill him.
Mandy Males Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy-males-cole.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Mandy Males Cole »

I assumed the king married Rhan as part of an arranged marriage, and she was just a power-hungry queen waiting for her chance to get king Amren out of the way so she could assume the throne. I'd be more interested in reading a prequel to this book than a sequel. There are a lot of unanswered questions that the author seems to have purposely embedded.
CBCollinsReview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbcollinsreview.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by CBCollinsReview »

I agree that not enough was explained about either of the antagonists in this story. It would have been nice to know if Rahn was completely in control of the body she possessed or if her personality merged with her host. Knowing this alone would have given us a better understanding of the character's strengths as well as her weaknesses. For example, can Agrona keep her from attacking Catrin?
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html

Post by mamilla93 »

her character was pretty under developed in the story. It was promising when her backstory was told, but weak once she is revealed in person. I hope, the author further explores this character and the exact source of her friction with King Ameren.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Rahn's back story was pretty underdeveloped in the story. I hope we learn more about her friction with the king in the next book.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

You have to admit, though, the amount of restraint and patience she had working for King Amren all these years. The amount of time and effort she would have needed to put into gaining his trust, and then working for him for so many years just waiting for the curse to come to pass...She's in it for the long game!
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”