What scene did you like the least?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

What scene did you like the least?

Post by Jsovermyer »

What scene in the Apollo's Raven did you like the least? For me, it was Queen Rhiannon's reaction when she thought that Catrin and Marcellus had had sex. Do you think her reaction was extreme because of her own infidelity?
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

I don't think so. It's common for parents to have a double-standard when it comes to their kids. And also, there might be the aspect that Rhiannon doesn't want her daughter making the same mistake she did. At times it felt like she was trapped in the affair, that Trystan wouldn't take no, no matter how many times she said or no matter what repercussions there might be later.

As for my least favorite scene? I don't know. Maybe it was when Amren was struck down in the final fight. It seemed like, given the time period, there was no way he should survive it, and yet, somehow, he does.
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

I didn't like the first scene where we met the King and Queen. It was riddled with blatant sexism, which was annoying, and the writing doesn't move quickly enough to skip over it.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I didn't like the scene where the queen reacts to the roman letter. You would think someone of her diplomatic and political abilities would know better than to declare war on someone who is holding your family hostage. It seemed like it was engineered just to create conflict.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

I did not like the scenes where the Romans and King Amren and Queen Rhiannon had to talk about exchanging hostages. for me, this scene was way too drawn out and over-explained. I think it would have been more interesting if Marcellus and Vala weren't hostages, but spies meant to infiltrate the other side's camp. This would have reinforced the forbidden love aspect of Marcellus and Catrin and would have given the author more chances to characterize Vala and make her AN ACTUAL CHARACTER INSTEAD OF A PLOT DEVICE.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I didn't like anything about Marrock, but Agrona tying up Catrin and trying to control her mind, making her drink green slime potion was really awful. While I was reading it, I wondered how much Catrin could resist and how she would escape the evil plans of Agrona.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I didn't like the scene when the queen's affair is revealed and her first two daughters are revealed to not be the King's biological kids. The whole situation put me off the book for a while.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I do agree that Queen Rhiannon transferred her feelings of guilt from her affair to Catrin. And my lease favorite scene -SPOILER ALERT- was when Catrin begged her mother not to send her with the sorceress for healing, but the queen did it anyway- in spite of her mistrust for the sorceress.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I was really bothered by the sex scene for Marrock when he's in his wolf form. That is not something I needed to read about. Especially since later on, it is revealed that the silver wolf he mates with is the little girl he beheaded!
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
sjenkins39
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by sjenkins39 »

I disliked the scenes where the queen does not believe Catrin, her daughter, when she tries to tell her the truth.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

sjenkins39 wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 21:13 I disliked the scenes where the queen does not believe Catrin, her daughter, when she tries to tell her the truth.
That was incredibly irritating. Her mother fights against her daughters so much that it's no wonder why they're so rebellious.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

Many of the scenes where Catrin's mind were joined with the raven were described in a way that was fairly hard for me to follow. I had to reread most of those a few times. As a result, I'd say those were my least favorite from a writing standpoint.
But in terms of my least favorite part regardless of the way it was written, I had a really hard time with the scene where Marrock was trying to kill Catrin and threatened to rape her. As bad as that is at face value, it was made even worse because not only was this his sister, but she was a little kid. I really couldn't get past that.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Honestly, the sex scenes were not to my liking at all.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

Bluebird03 wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 17:44 I do agree that Queen Rhiannon transferred her feelings of guilt from her affair to Catrin. And my lease favorite scene -SPOILER ALERT- was when Catrin begged her mother not to send her with the sorceress for healing, but the queen did it anyway- in spite of her mistrust for the sorceress.
This was my least favorite scene as well. I had hoped that the queen would at least listen to her daughter, even though Catrin had just slept with Marcellus. Still, I think this scene points to an important flaw in both the queen's and the king's ruling style: letting formalities and reputation reign over empathy and understanding.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”