Marcellus a hero?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Marcellus a hero?

Post by Jsovermyer »

Was Marcellus a hero in the story? He did attack the Roman that was trying to kill Catrin. But he was willing to leave her? I'm conflicted about him. What do you think?
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

He was willing to leave her, but the true love is not the name of access, it's a name of sacrifice. So, I think Marcellus was a real hero.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

Marcellus was a bit whishy-washy, as he seemed to have some regret after pledging himself to Catrin. I'm alright if he is not a hero, though. It seems like the book is setting Marcellus up to be the "maiden" that is normally in distress in booked. I think he is supposed to be repeatedly saved by Catrin, and not the other way around. And I am super okay with that. Go Catrin!
jgardner15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgardner15.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by jgardner15 »

Not in this book. Marcellus is trying to figure out his place and what it means to be a hero for him. Does being a hero mean being loyal to his people and Rome? While it is easy to paint Rome as the bad guys, from his point of view, Rome is the good guys. It's Rome! Then there is the issue between his father and Rome. Should he be loyal to his family or the interests of Rome? What IS in Rome's best interest? His family's? Given how essential family was to Roman culture, I can totally understand the internal conflict. In Roman culture, family came before empire, at least among the Patrician class. Then there is Catrin, with whom he is bound and has some affection for. The "romance" between Catrin and Marcellus was poorly done in my mind; we were just told they loved each other and that was it. But I never saw it develop or blossom and never saw the connection between the two; just told there was one. But assuming what we're told is accurate, then he's got that monkey-wrench in his thought process. Rome, family, and Catrin are all vying for his loyalty and all have good, legitimate claims on his fealty. While Tanner didn't do a great job portraying and developing her characters, Marcellus's situation is by far the most intriguing, which makes him probably the most interesting character. Part of being a hero is finding your path and Marcellus has several paths to choose from, all of which have good arguments for them and against them. He hasn't committed yet so he isn't a hero. Everyone else's, Catrin included, have pretty straightforward paths but Marcellus's paths are so knotted up watching him try to unravel them would be far and away the most interesting part of future books. His character has the most growth potential.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

I don't think he was a true hero, at least not yet. I think that he is still a bit selfish and immature. Additionally, I don't think he completely trusts Catrin yet. This conflicts with both of their claims of undying love for each other.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

I don't think that Marcellus was much of a hero. I can't name a lot of memorable thing he did. throughout the entire battle at the end, he was just running around helplessly until he saw Catrin in danger. Even then, he didn't do much.
Tobiasblackwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobiasblackwell.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Tobiasblackwell »

In this book, Marcellus was still growing to be the hero he might one day become. So, I don't feel that he's the hero yet.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I believe that he was a hero, but I think that Catrin was more of a heroine that he was hero. She just seemed to make more sacrifices than he did.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Marcellus is pretty confused and just a handsome prince. The real hero of this book is Catrin and she is the main character and makes the book unique.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

I was pretty confused when he accused her of betraying him. But nonetheless, he still saves her anyway. I think his true heroism will be revealed in the subsequent novels.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I'm still really conflicted by him. But I feel like he's not supposed to save Catrin, but the other way around.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Maybe it would be difficult for him to stay with her? They are 'enemies' after all.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”