Is This Story Better as a Trilogy or a Stand Alone?

Use this forum to discuss the September Book of the Month "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.
CBCollinsReview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbcollinsreview.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Is This Story Better as a Trilogy or a Stand Alone?

Post by CBCollinsReview »

It seems that more and more authors are shifting to writing trilogies and series as opposed to standalone books. While this helps to increase readership loyalty and demand for future installments, it isn't always the best move in regards to the story. Do you think this is the case with Apollo's Raven?

Personally, I feel the story should have been broken up in two books instead of three. While only the trilogy is not complete, I think that the first third was dragged out more than it should have been. If more action was incorporated in the first novel, I would have been more excited about the upcoming stories in the series.
LikoLovesBooks
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 728
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-likolovesbooks.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LikoLovesBooks »

The author has the second book already out that you can get on Amazon. I'm not sure if she is making it a trilogy or not, I didn't see any inkling of a third book on Goodreads, but it's not a stand alone. I'm actually really curious to see what is going to happen with Catrin and Marcellus. I feel like their relationship was left on a cliffhanger and I want their ship to sail!
Linnea Tanner
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Raven (Book I of Sons of Kings trilogy)
Bookshelf Size: 352

Post by Linnea Tanner »

The Curse of Clansmen and Kings was originally envisioned as a trilogy but has been expanded to a 5-part series, spanning from 24 AD to 40 AD to the time of Caligula. One of the difficult aspects of writing the series is weaving the arc of each book into the overall storyline and theme of the series so there is clarity on the political intrigue and various characters. If readers are invested in story of Catrin and Marcellus, the books below are anticipated to be released approximately one year apart:

Book 2: Dagger's Destiny (Released 9/26/18)--A Celtic warrior princess accused of treason for aiding her enemy Roman lover must win back her father’s love and trust

Book 3: Amulet's Rapture--Can an enslaved Celtic warrior princess balance her forbidden love for a Roman nobleman and her destiny to regain her freedom and to retake her kingdom as a warrior queen.

Book 4: Skulls' Vengeance--A Celtic warrior queen and her Roman lover join forces to avenge their enemies and rise to power in each of their respective nations.

Book 5: Raven's Sacrifice--A Celtic warrior queen and Roman lover must make the ultimate sacrifice to save their families from the forces of political corruption.
Gotyourbakula
Favorite Author: Steve Cavanagh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotyourbakula.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
fav_author_id: 42995

Post by Gotyourbakula »

I totally agree. I think a lot of books (The Magicians, Divergent) would have been better as stand alone stories. Just because you want to write a trilogy doesn't mean you have enough plot to make it work. I wish more writers would ask readers what they want.
Arup343
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arup343.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton Cosby
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Arup343 »

If you notice, there is already the second book of this novel. Personally, I am always inclined towards trilogy than stand-alone books. I can never digest the fact that the story ended in such a small book! So, from my point of view, I would see this story to be better as a trilogy! :D
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

This story has a lot of potential and has a good chance at being a better as a trilogy than a standalone book. I just finished reading the first book and cant wait to start with the next book.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I like it better as a trilogy than a standalone book. The story has potential and I am really interested in seeing how Catrin's romance turns out.
winecellarlibrary
Favorite Author: Juliet Marillier
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 462
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winecellarlibrary.html
Latest Review: The Lines Between Us by Rebecca D'Harlingue
Reading Device: B07VMB5L3C
fav_author_id: 17456

Post by winecellarlibrary »

The series has actually expanded to five promised books! There was a lot left unresolved in the first book, which leaves tons of material for subsequent books. There was way too much going on in the first book to wrap it up in a single installment. It would have ended up much too long.
There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
-Emily Dickinson
Julie-p
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

I have no problem with series with more than one book. Only when the sequels are something that has feels useless to the plot. I guess sometimes authors think that a three shorter books are more likely to attract attention than one huge book (after all people that don't read much usually dislike a book with a lot of pages).
In my opinion the author didn't make a wrong decision by making it a trilogy.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Currently, there should be 5 books in the series. However, I don't like getting involved in a long series unless I'm hooked. If the series were only 3 books I wouldn't mind completing it.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

I personally think that this story does very well as a series. I'm currently on book 3 of 5, and am still as invested as when I started reading the first book. In fact, book series are one of my favorite aspects of the fantasy genre (such as Harry Potter, Eragon, Lord of the Rings), as it allows the author to expand on all aspects of the story and create a more immersive reading experience.

Return to “Discuss "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner”