Children/Middle Grade Book Discussion

For September 2018, we will be reading Children/Middle Grade books.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Children/Middle Grade Book Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Happy September everyone!

This month we will be reading books that are geared toward children and/or middle grade. Books in this demographic can fall under early readers (where illustrations are included) to upper elementary/middle school (where there are minimal to no illustrations and typically fall between the ages of 8-12).

Potential discussion points:
  • What did you read?
  • At what age would a child read this book?
  • Were there other genres included in the text? If so, which ones?
  • Share your overall opinion of the book.
As always, let's have fun! :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

• Recently, I reread Number the Stars by Lois Lowry and it was (and still is) one of my favorite children/middle grade reads.
  • I read it when I was in the fifth grade, and I feel that was an appropriate time to be introduced to the effects of WWII.
  • This book is definitely historical fiction, on top of being a middle grade book.
  • I would absolutely recommend this to upper elementary school kids to even adults to read this book.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I also reread The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis recently. It was so much fun revisiting this classic! This definitely had fantasy elements and even some religious undertones. I think children in upper elementary (and even through adulthood) would absolutely love following four siblings fall into a magical land!
Heidi

gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 09:26 I also reread The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis recently. It was so much fun revisiting this classic! This definitely had fantasy elements and even some religious undertones. I think children in upper elementary (and even through adulthood) would absolutely love following four siblings fall into a magical land!
It was one of my favorite books when I was a kid despite the religious undertones. I probably was too young to get the religious undertones anyway. I still have it in my library.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 09:31
hsimone wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 09:26 I also reread The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis recently. It was so much fun revisiting this classic! This definitely had fantasy elements and even some religious undertones. I think children in upper elementary (and even through adulthood) would absolutely love following four siblings fall into a magical land!
It was one of my favorite books when I was a kid despite the religious undertones. I probably was too young to get the religious undertones anyway. I still have it in my library.
When I read it the first time, when I was younger, I did not notice the religious undertones either. It's so funny how unaware kids are to certain things. It happens a lot in movies and shows, too, not just books. I'll re-watch something and think "whoa, I definitely did not get that when I saw it as a child". I also have this book as part of my home library, too. :)
Heidi

HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

hsimone wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 09:38
When I read it the first time, when I was younger, I did not notice the religious undertones either. It's so funny how unaware kids are to certain things. It happens a lot in movies and shows, too, not just books. I'll re-watch something and think "whoa, I definitely did not get that when I saw it as a child". I also have this book as part of my home library, too. :)
I also liked that book and didn't pick up on the religious undertones, maybe it's time for a reread. I'd like to add 'Charlotte's Web' as my favorite.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

BookReader+6 wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 11:48
hsimone wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 09:38

I also liked that book and didn't pick up on the religious undertones, maybe it's time for a reread. I'd like to add 'Charlotte's Web' as my favorite.
I was quite surprised to find those religious undertones. Aw, I loved Charlotte's Web, too!
Heidi

lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Many middle grade books are wonderful reads even for adults.

Return to “September 2018 Genre Discussion”