Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
ChristeenaP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christeenap.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Post by ChristeenaP »

gali wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 00:22 This is a discussion topic for the October 2018 Book of the Month, "McDowell" by William H. Coles. What is your overall opinion of McDowell? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?
Overall, I found the book interesting. It was not a favorite of mine. I did enjoy the evolution of Hiram, though. Seeing his change was my favorite part. I did not like how it switched from one character to another each chapter. I felt it made the story harder to follow and keep track of. I do think it would appeal to many different types of readers but I will most likely not recommend it. There were lots of errors and it was just too slow.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I thought it was a perfect study on human behaviour and how desperate one can get to protect their success and status, and the importance of human touch even for ones who think they do not need anything except money. I am definitely loving the book. Yet to finish it, but I will recommend it to everyone. It's a beautiful piece of art.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

This is some of the best character development that I have ever read. Each character felt unique and three-dimensional. The progression of Mcdowell's growth was fantastic. The supporting characters felt more lifelike than most protagonists that I have read in other stories.

It took me a little bit to settle into the pace of the story. I tend to read a lot of fantasy which has a lot of action. I wouldn't say that I dislike the slower aspect, but there was a transition period.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Shalu1707 »

McDowell by William H. Coles is filled with a lot of mixed feelings. Hiram Mcdowell is selfish and arrogant and yet there is something about him that you can not hate him whole heartedly, He is wrong on so many fronts and yet he is right in bringing his children to a steady life from there aimless existence and toxic relations, He considers himself a victim of circumstances and does not take any responsibility of his wrongdoings. but redeems himself in the second half by actually caring about the people he meets.
It was fun to read his life which was nothing less than a roller coaster with its own ups and downs.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

McDowell is a fascinating read. It is a story that's difficult to place. I liked it unpredictability and relatability. I read and reread some parts of it, especially the second part of the book. It had lots of valuable lessons packed in it. Parents and in fact every adult should read the book. It's not like your everyday fictional story because Hiram's character seems very real compared to what obtains on a daily basis. There are some scenes not suitable for the younger audience, so I don't recommend this to them.
Journalgirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Journalgirl »

Rate: 3 1/2 stars. I did not enjoy this book ( at first) . I felt that the story went back and forth a lot, but once I got a grasp on that the book started moving along. I did run into a few areas that I found myself having to slow down because there are several characters to keep track of , which did add to the confusion at first for me. Would I recommend to others, Yes if you enjoy plot line that makes you really focus on what is going on in the story. No, if you are expecting a quick and easy read. This book may cause triggers in some that read it, some maybe even feel that there are areas of being that can be found offensive.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 08:31 It's an enjoyable and an engaging book. Mr. Coles is a master in forming well-rounded characters. I definitely recommend McDowell and give it the perfect score.
I agree with you - I have the book 4 out of 4 stars and thought the author did a great job of creating characters with depth that were able to hold the readers interest
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I would like to review this; however, the author requires reviewers to be English-as-first-language readers. I wonder why?
Philip Decyple
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Philip Decyple »

Brilliant book by all standards, I would recommend to everyone who loves reading Mr. Cole's is really up there with some fascinating character. For me I can say it took me some time before settling in the story. Hiram I can say is selfish and I hate him for that...but anyway it is a must read story.
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praisecrown8.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by praisecrown8 »

I already think its an amazing book from the review
Will consider reading it
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:

Post by praisecrown8 »

I already think its an amazing book from the review. Would consider reading it.
Thumps up to the author
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:

Post by praisecrown8 »

Everything about this story seems appealing.
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:

Post by praisecrown8 »

praisecrown8
Currently Reading:

Post by praisecrown8 »

praisecrown8
Currently Reading:

Post by praisecrown8 »

:techie-studyinggray: Everything about this story seems appealing.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”