Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
tumba88
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Post by tumba88 »

I gave it 5 out of 5 stars. I had some minor editorial issues in the second half of the book, but thought it was so good overall that I didn't bother mentioning them. I thought the structure was really interesting and underscored the relationship between McDowell and his children. Like all really good books, it was thought-provoking
khaira elise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaira-elise.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by khaira elise »

I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.I like the most about this book is how the characters were greatly emphasize and there's a lot of lessons that this book can share.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

This book was fantastic. The plotline was great and the character development was phenomenal. I give 4 out of 4 stars.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
lara_haelterman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lara-haelterman.html

Post by lara_haelterman »

It was an enjoyable read. However, I didn't like the ending. I thought it was too abrupt and didn't do justice to Hiram's character. I would have preferred an open ending.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html

Post by Ksharmilla »

I would recommend this book to everyone. The theme of redemption is what I liked most about this book. McDowell's character took some getting used to as he seemed uncaring and ruthless in the beginning of the book.
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

The novel is really amazing. I think that there is hardly anyone who will not like it.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I haven't read this book. But I got opportunity some times ago but am not able download the book then.
Adeqyms09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Adeqyms09 »

This book is really getting interesting day by day as I read through. I will come back for a full review
Hshaw88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hshaw88.html
Latest Review: Lily White Lie by Connie Chappell

Post by Hshaw88 »

When I read the blurb I really wasn't sure I wanted to read this book, however, I'm glad I did. I enjoyed the direction the plot took and felt like the twists and turns got larger as the story went on.

The only thing I didn't really enjoy was the descriptions with technical language, such as when Paige attends Hirams charity event and she discusses how his charity makes and spends money. I think there was too much time spent describing this and I found myself struggling to focus. Apart from that though, I did like this book and would recommend.
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

I think the novel McDowell is an interesting novel. I loved McDowell cunning personality.
mariakavo88
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariakavo88.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mariakavo88 »

When I first started reading this book initially, I was a little.on the fence, and at times felt the pace was slow; however as the book went on I realized the pace was just right for the story itself. I soon realized that all the stuff in the beginning of the book was important to paint the picture of who all the characters were and what they became. I reviewed this book as well and gave it a 4 out of 4.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I thoroughly appreciated this book and gave it a sound 4 out of 4 stars. The characters were fabulously developed and I appreciated how so much of the tale invited me to think philosophically about life and redemption.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

I think I would never enjoy it. It sounds like too much negativity. I have read the author's previous books and that was a waste of my time. I don't wanna waste my time again!
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1886
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I find the story of McDowell as something that added to my store of knowledge. I like the fact that the protagonist of the story is a surgeon by profession. I am aware of the growing scope of surgery in modern age! I least liked the sad end of the protagonist as I waited for an optimistic conclusion of his life as a surgeon. This would lead to many positive thoughts about people's possibilities and potentials. I would recommend the book to other people for the lively description of life on the streets to help them face crisis in life!
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I never thought I would like this book, but I did! This book helps the reader understand other people more. It shows how difficult it is to really get to know people. There always seems to be another side to someone we cannot quickly know about.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”