Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praisecrown8.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Post by praisecrown8 »

:techie-studyinggray: Everything about this story seems a :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown:
ppealing.
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:

Post by praisecrown8 »

Nice storyline
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:

Post by praisecrown8 »

:idea: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: Nice storyline
Dhanaraaj Raghuveer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhanaraaj-raghuveer.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Dhanaraaj Raghuveer »

Is the book a good recommendation for underage teenagers who are highly interested in novels with fast-paced and intriguing plots?
Maggiedsu19
Currently Reading: Zeus Defied
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Maggiedsu19 »

:techie-reference: McDowell is an interesting book, as the character goes from a world renowned surgeon to an escaped criminal. His progression from a powerful, entitled person to a loner is interesting. This seems as it could be an actual story instead of fiction.
Hannahberry
Currently Reading: Fire and Blood (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahberry.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Hannahberry »

I probably would give it 2 out of 4 stars because I thought the story was interesting but the style was too blunt for me personally. I also felt that some of McDowell's actions were beyond forgivable so the redemption arch was a little difficult for me to relate to. Still, there were some great characters and the plot was good.
HappyHatch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-happyhatch.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by HappyHatch »

This book was interesting. It had a complex storyline too it that was very gripping. I thought it was different how the writer turned an antagonist into someone I actually ended up feeling empathy for in a way. It was a very interesting book with a good moral. I would recommend it to anybody who enjoys a book that had a point.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Dhanaraaj Raghuveer wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 04:50 Is the book a good recommendation for underage teenagers who are highly interested in novels with fast-paced and intriguing plots?
I would say no for many reasons:
  • Definitely not fast paced
  • Interpersonal relationships are not a good example for those underaged
  • adult themes, scenes, actions, and language
bauer_ve
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bauer-ve.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by bauer_ve »

I would definitely recommend McDowell for others to read. I did a review on it and I couldn’t put the book down! I enjoyed the themes of redemption and mystery. I initially thought that it would get confusing since he jumped between different characters perspectives but it lent to a better understanding and development of the characters and how they tied together.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

Having finished this book, I am swinging between a 2 and a 3. There were multiple errors in grammar (hit 10 by the end of the 2nd chapter I think). Yes, the main character did almost a virtual 180 in the way he treated others around him, to an extent. He still treats women like throwaway pieces, he is just a little nicer to them before he moves on. And the transformation happened entirely "off screen" to the reader. I feel more like we received a brand new character that just also happens to be named the same thing at the halfway point.
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in philosophical discussions about life. The author starts out with a character with the darkest shades of grey and turns him in to something unrecognisable. And the transition is so gradual that you won't believe by the end ho Hiram McDowell changed by the end of the book. He kept me engaged till the end of the book.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Zora C Penter wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 18:21 Having finished this book, I am swinging between a 2 and a 3. There were multiple errors in grammar (hit 10 by the end of the 2nd chapter I think). Yes, the main character did almost a virtual 180 in the way he treated others around him, to an extent. He still treats women like throwaway pieces, he is just a little nicer to them before he moves on. And the transformation happened entirely "off screen" to the reader. I feel more like we received a brand new character that just also happens to be named the same thing at the halfway point.
I didn't like it, for many of the reasons you cited! The characterization of the women, as well as how Hiram himself treats them, absolutely didn't work for me.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
dwightyb7
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dwightyb7.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dwightyb7 »

I read the book and provided a review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading McDowell. The book was long, the characters were numerous and there were so many facets to Hiram's life that keep this reader not only engaged but intrigued at the happenings in his life. I became caught up in his story- fond of Hiram one moment, disgusted the next, and then when his life changed, so did my feelings for this character. Well written book, great descriptions and with the story written in the first person, the reader also gets the inside scoop on what Hiram is thinking, feeling and dreading.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

My rating is 3 out of 4. I liked the character development of McDowell. The author seemed somewhat defending Hiram's crime of killing his nephew. Otherwise it was a great book.
I would recommend it to everyone who is trying to overcome his inner demons. The book might provide them a good direction but i think the end isn't satisfying. The outcome of virtuous acts can't so cruel.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

It's a great book. In this book, various aspects of human nature are depicted by different characters in a very convincing manner. It's impossible to not like Hiram's character with his numerous faults and the endearing qualities he develops in the latter part of the book. What I liked most about was the amazing character development of not only Hiram but also of Sophia. I didn't like over-descriptiveness. But, despite that I'd definitely, recommend it to others.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”