Is mysoginism the main theme?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Is mysoginism the main theme?

Post by Britty01 »

Mysoginism certainly seems to be one of the major themes in the novel, although I do not think it is the main one. His response to Tasha is probably a typical parent’s response when their own child is involved. There are a lot of women who are freely available for married men – the gate swings both ways in that situation. If he has not hidden his marital situation she is free to make her choice and live with the consequences.

It may be present in society to varying degrees, but I am noticing a rise in misandry, (women who hate men). Neither of which are good for a society that claims to want freedom and equality for all.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Many situations can be named as misogyny depending on the angle it is seen. So, one can say it is the main theme of the book and another can say no it is not :eusa-think:
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
ArriettyClock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arriettyclock.html
Latest Review: The Judge part 1 and 2 by Ian RB Morris

Post by ArriettyClock »

I think a bigger question would be is the mysoginism in the book reflective of general society currently, or is it a warning for those boardering on mysoginism?
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

There is a lot of misogyny present in the book, which is a source of conflict and is still present in society. Whether it is the main theme, I'm not sure. There are a lot of other elements present including narcissism.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

FictionLover wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 06:47
Eva Darrington wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 23:00 I am noticing some misogyny, both in the characters and the narration. Part of misogyny is a hyper-focus on women's body sizes and physical appearances. The author writes about three women in a row, and comments on their weight and appearances. Carole was "flabby now" and wasn't exercising; "Tasha teetered on the cusp of overweight with legs like ice cream cones," then he wonders if she would "splat" another cheerleader; And of Sheryl, "He didn't like the size of her nose with dark deep wells for nostrils. She was a little overweight...." This is just the first few pages of Chapter 1.
I noticed all that too, and it completely cemented my opinion of not only the character of Hiram, but also of the author. I noticed a similar fixation on women's body size in Mr. Cole's The Spirit of Want, but I think it is much more obvious here because those comments come so close together in chapter one.

Conspicuously absent: a physical description of Hiram.

:(
Yet to read but will be really flabbergasted that there wouldn't be a single description of Hiram. Big Oversight.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

ea_anthony wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 20:51
Eva Darrington wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 23:00 I am noticing some misogyny, both in the characters and the narration. Part of misogyny is a hyper-focus on women's body sizes and physical appearances. The author writes about three women in a row, and comments on their weight and appearances. Carole was "flabby now" and wasn't exercising; "Tasha teetered on the cusp of overweight with legs like ice cream cones," then he wonders if she would "splat" another cheerleader; And of Sheryl, "He didn't like the size of her nose with dark deep wells for nostrils. She was a little overweight...." This is just the first few pages of Chapter 1.
I noticed all that too, and it completely cemented my opinion of not only the character of Hiram, but also of the author. I noticed a similar fixation on women's body size in Mr. Cole's The Spirit of Want, but I think it is much more obvious here because those comments come so close together in chapter one.

Yet to read but will be really flabbergasted that there wouldn't be a single description of Hiram. Big Oversight.
I just read the sample. Perhaps somewhere in the novel there is one.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

FictionLover wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 17:49

I should be reading this book quite soon, I will watch out to see if any description of Hiram.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I think the issue isn't so much whether the author ever describes men physically as well. For me, there is just a strong tendency for the author to focus immediately on women's and girls' physical appearances, often using critical remarks. I wanted to be clear that I am certainly not saying the author is a misogynist, only that there is this pattern in these books. 8)
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

ea_anthony wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 17:53

I should be reading this book quite soon, I will watch out to see if any description of Hiram.
Let us know!

:lire4:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Hiram McDowell annoyed me because of his misogyny and his selfishness. The book seems kind of centered on that theme, so I agree with you.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

One theme yes. Main theme not really. I think it explains about the importance of having strong family ties. The book shows how far things can unravel when there is no closeness to each other.
:techie-studyingbrown:
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Laura Bach wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 08:12 Hiram McDowell annoyed me because of his misogyny and his selfishness. The book seems kind of centered on that theme, so I agree with you.
I thought was a pretty interesting character. I definitely saw his flaws but also saw the good in him also trying to get out.
:techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

ea_anthony wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 17:53

I almost about a third into the novel, not only is there no description of Hiram, there is almost no description of any of the male characters. Every female character gets a line or two, some of the descriptions are barely okay and others downright condescending.
As for mysogynism, not only only is it the main theme, it practically jumps out at you every other page and clubs you over the head in case you do not want to notice. Well I'll reserve my other comments till I finish the novel.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

A great portion of the book deals with how the main character treats women and it is definitely a predominant theme throughout the novel. I think the main theme is redemption though.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

There is a strong thread of misogyny in the book. But I think the main theme is narcissism. McDowell is a man who thinks only of himself. Even in the end, he thinks he is just a misunderstood victim who doesn't deserve to suffer the consequences of his actions. Both narcissism and misogyny are still very much present in our society, especially given our current political and social climate.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”