What do you think of Hiram McDowell?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Hiram McDowell is ready to leave a friend behind just to reach the peak of a mountain or to stab another friend in the back only to get a higher position in his professional career. He has no respect for women and expects everyone to simply obey his orders.

I have to admit the author’s option to turn a typical antagonist into a protagonist is at least baffling.
Does the author manage to turn an unrelatable character into a full-fledged protagonist?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

As for me, Hiram might be a despicable fellow but his flaws made the book stand out. We may not relate to his character but there are real persons who possessed that antagonistic behavior. I could not praise the author more for his expertise in weaving tales with complex plots and assertive characters.
MagensWife1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magenswife1995.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by MagensWife1995 »

I'm unsure. I have just started reading but the first chapter. I have a ways to go. Although, from the reviews and people's comments he has many flaws that are not on the best side. I am indifferent, I do not think I will continue with this story so I cannot pass a full judgment. Only a partial one.
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones »

Without wanting to unduly spoil it, I would say that while Hiram starts out as exceptionally unpleasant, he evolves into a more sympathetic and complex character as the story progresses. How that occurs can only be appreciated from reading the book.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I really hated the character right from the start.

The way he acts on (what seems to be) Mount Everest is bad, but I could have managed a book with this villainous man better without his sexist thoughts about how his wife is getting flabby and his step-daughter is to fat to be a cheerleader. Ugh

:darth:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

This book, McDowell, stands-out because of Hiram. His flawed, unreliable, and selfish nature adds a high voltage to this read making its reader to punch-a-pillow. I like to maintain a neutral stance with his character because his unspeakable nature is what made this book eventful.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
KMSingh
Favorite Book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmsingh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by KMSingh »

I have to admit that Hiram has a lot working against him as a main character. Clearly, Coles didn't read Save the Cat (joke).

So why did I keep reading? What was it about him that made me care enough to keep with the story? I'm not sure. Seriously, I've thought about it and can't pinpoint what it was that kept me reading. When he left his climbing partner behind who was not yet dead, I was shocked. And he didn't just leave him behind he took the man's oxygen tank. I understand enough about the difficulties of climbing Everest to know this was probably necessary for him to survive, but Coles doesn't soften it in the least. He's absolutely brutal in his description. Maybe it's that Coles follows it with insight into McDowell's heart/mind. He survives a near-death experience and vows to conquer every mountain peak. He may be brutal, but I admired his unbroken spirit. Though even this is too simplistic since I happen to think anyone who climbs a mountain beyond the verticle limit of human endurance is selfish and certifiable. So, there you have it, my imperfect and rambling response.
Kate S.

My only addiction is books.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

He's an older adult with a lot of lessons to learn!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Timah kingsly
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Timah kingsly »

I think he is a wonderful father and a wonderful writer he gives us an excellent example to follow
bear_6743
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rheanna11.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by bear_6743 »

Hiram McDowell is definitely and epic and complicated character. It is hard to judge whether he is simply a callous and cruel man or if he is merely a survivalist. We see that he is a womanizer and power hungry. He treats women like objects to satisfy his physical needs. He does, however, have an odd love for his son Billy. It is a disturbing story but I believe one about redemption.
Mapee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mapee »

McDowell is much like a typical choleric whose mind is set on work and achievements. Anything else can kiss his ass for all he cares until life taught him better!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The author succeeded in this not only for Hiram's step-daughter and his son.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Hiram reflects traits that majority in the society possess. This calls to mind that we are all imperfect and reflect traits that might not be appealing to the eyes of men. The fact that he started off badly then later at the end of the story he changes to become a better man reflects what really happen in people's day-to-day life experience.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I see him as a person with borderline personality disorder, at least for some extent. That explains most of his actions
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I am still reading the book. He seems arrogant and selfish. Inconsiderate of other people's feelings. He doesn't seem to care much about his family, except for maybe his son. I hope he matures throughout the book.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”