What do you think of Hiram McDowell?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Re: What do you think of Hiram McDowell?

Post by Namaste23 »

I'm personally not a fan of Hiram, even towards the end of the book. His brain is just wired completely different than mine and I do not understand him. Even in the end, although he develops more humanity, I'm not convinced he is fully the protagonist.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I understand that his character did improve throughout the book. He became a slightly better person but I still never liked him. I didn't think he was a good person and that made it difficult to like him.
jhunt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhunt.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by jhunt »

I somewhat warm up to him as the book progresses, however, he starts out very unappealing.
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I see a man who is so obsessed with himself and his desires, that other people are just obstacles to overcome. I think the author did a great job taking a man you were disgusted with and turning him into a man you could care about. Although he is not fully redeemed by the end, he is making progress. No one in this world is perfect but if we are growing and trying to be better people, that is admirable.
Jakub Bystrowski
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

Hiram is full of himself. His flaws are what make the book interesting. He is a complex character and the best definition of the human nature.
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

Despite the beginning of this book, I think Haram was an exceptionally well built character that reflects various character flaws we see in various individuals in our society today. This loved the gradual progression to his redemption. This book proved the author talent and creativity.
Stacy K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacy-k.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Stacy K »

The author did a great job making the reader hate Hiram right from the start. The turning point for me was when he saved Kristy’s life, knowing that his freedom was at risk the second he stepped into that hospital. That was when I realized he did truly change. And how ironic that she was the one who turned him in.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”