Physician Assisted Suicide

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Re: Physician Assisted Suicide

Post by Mtibza eM »

No, he was wrong. McDowell just killed his boy because he was more concerned about public opinion as he was on top of that political ladder and he was scared that as his trial will receive a lot of attention will marr his infant career.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

Part of me feels that in certain situations a person shouldn’t be forced to suffer. It should be up to that person only because it is suicide and they have to answer to God for that themselves.( no offense to any other religions meant at all). In the case of Jeremy, it shouldn’t have been up to Hiram to put him out of his misery just because his original suicide attempt failed. People can have a change of heart after trauma like that.
photosynthesis19
Currently Reading: A Room of One's Own
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-photosynthesis19.html
Latest Review: The Middle Reaches (Episodes 1-8) by L. Andrew Cooper

Post by photosynthesis19 »

I already shared my opinion in another discussion thread, but I think this question does not have an obvious objective answer. It depends on the reader's beliefs and value system. Personally, I would want to be put asleep if my body and mind ever get to a point of no recovery, like Jeremy did. I actually have thought about this question for a long time, ever since we discussed euthanasia in my ethics class in middle school. Therefore, it was pretty easy for me to come to terms with and process the actions of Hiram McDowell. Of course, I know that my view is based on my atheist upbringing, and I understand that people of different faiths and backgrounds will have differing opinions.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

It's a tricky situation. But there are cases where a person is just suffering and wants to die (but can't do it by themselves or something) and after being assessed by a health team I think some people should be giving the right to die like they want to, without pain.
Aloe Crane
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aloe-crane.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by Aloe Crane »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 19:02 I think assisted suicide is acceptable when someone has no quality of life or their every moment is suffering. When it comes to actual suicide I am very against it. The situation with assisted suicide is different, your loved ones would see your suffering and your terminally ill.
I totally agree! Some people may want to choose this route if it's one of their only options. Like if their future is bleak and would only make them suffer and make their family members suffer.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

For someone like me who is very hopeful and believe in miracles, I do not believe in Euthanasian as no one has the right to take the life of someone. It should be a serious crime and there should be severe punishment for anyone involved.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”