What about Sophie?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: What about Sophie?

Post by asere_maryanne »

Sophie was still young and she had no friend after the death of her best friend, and she was the one trying hard to hold the family together. Being in her position, she saw Paige as the only shoulder she could lean on.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

Sophie loved her father, she may not have agreed with what he did but she still loved him and I think that love grew stronger towards the end of the book. At a difficult time in her life, Paige was a good friend towards Sophie. Although Paige had ulterior motives in terms of the book , she genuinely cared for Sophie and provided a source of support. This is probably why the friendship continued and grew despite their difference in feelings towards Hiram.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I think Sophie was a vulnerable character looking for acceptance. I also think Paige used her to get information on her father.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Sophie is an admirable character. She suffered a lot in life. She was fond of her father and her siblings. She tried to protect her father all the while, especially when he ran from place to place in disguise. She helped Penny when she was in trouble. Though Paige was her friend, Sophie didn't trust her fully. She felt Paige was trying to extract information about her father. So, she didn't disclose it to Paige. Sophie is portrayed as a sympathetic, friendly, and caring woman. She comforted Jeremy when he was struggling for life. She guided Billy when needed.
somersas13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somersas13.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by somersas13 »

Sophie also seemed easily manipulated by those around her, even though she was a strong character in a lot of ways. I struggled with Paige being her friend, but also working with investigators to get him apprehended, mainly so she could interview him and bring closure to her own work. I really wanted to see Sophie find happiness independent of anyone's influence and that never really seemed to happen. Even at the end, she is able to get a new job opportunity, but it is because of her relationship with the editor. I felt like Sophie needed to have her own self-discovery adventure like Hiram had, but without the shoot out at the end.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Honestly, I had some trouble understanding Sophie's relationship with Paige. It could be only another attempt to understand her father and an expression of her conflicting feelings for him.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

Sophie was definitely in a difficult position through much of the story. I think she knew when Hiram told her to leave Jeremy's hospital room that something wasn't right, and then having to go through a trial which would decide her father's fate would have been devastating. I think she was right to not trust Paige 100% and to not give her fathers whereabouts, as she was working with Max and it probably would have resulted in his capture.
Potentially, though, had Max not been in the picture Sophie may have been able to sort out Hiram's notes for the biography which may have led to him being acquitted through the new evidence. I guess we'll never know.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

I think Sophie had to choose between family and friendship. She chose wisely at the end.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I think throughout the book, Sophie is a character who had to face constant struggles. When it came to her love relationships, her work life, her relationship with her father, her affection and care for Shrishti. She was always faced with choices, but she was mature enough, and did handle herself well. She is one female character in the book, which is sympathetic as well as likable and realistic. In fact, all the characters are realistic and paid attention to by the author.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Shalu1707
Favorite Book: The Vampire Diaries
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalu1707.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Shalu1707 »

Sophie was strong but had her weak moments too, which were more often. She wanted to help her father and tried to find a publisher for his memoir, But with Sophie she was clear that her friendship was just an excuse to reach her father, that's why she avoided telling paige that Hiram contacts her regularly.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I liked the character of Sophie but she did seem moist and dependent on other people.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

At first, Sophie wanted to help bring her father to face the consequences of his actions but her resolve wavered as she began to see a new aspect of him and analyze his actions by the day.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Sophie is a complex character. She has a good heart. Even though her father didn't do a lot for her and her siblings, she wants to help her father. But she's naive and too trusting. If she wanted her father to be safe, she shouldn't have trusted Paige. Other than Hiram, she's like the most developed character.
R Lawrence
Currently Reading: The Poppy War
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-lawrence.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by R Lawrence »

I felt bad for Sophie wanting to hear from her dad, but also being manipulated by others. She genuinely wanted to do the right thing but couldn't seem to figure out what that was. Was anyone else confused when she fell in love with Charles at the end? I thought she was a lesbian from her relationship with June.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

Sophie was definitely caught between a rock and a hard place. Of course, she wanted to help her dad because he is her dad, but I can see where she could be torn to help Paige as well.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”