Is the book reflective of general society currently?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Re: Is the book reflective of general society currently?

Post by KLafser »

When I was younger, my father shared with me that art - music, paintings, literature - is a reflection of the society that produces it. As I've grown, I find this to be more and more true. Yes, the story sprouts from the author's imagination but that imaginations is based in some reality somewhere...
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I think certain aspects are representative of society currently such as the relationships between the characters. I also think society in general wouldn’t go to the extremes of some of the characters
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I may agree with you but, in certain aspects I disagree. There is a lot of bad/illegal/ immoral acts that happen to people that will be very hard to prove when brought out in public. However, there are some victims that welcome and even like what happen but when brought to the public space, may decide to take advantage of the situation for personal benefit. Furthermore, it is impossible to know what emotions and/or thoughts and the intention behind an act in a specific situation. Having said this, I believe where evil abounds, good is doing much more. What we see now is just that "the media is focusing on the minority side of societal kind of thinking that was either ignored or thought to be a negligible factor".
KINGSOLOMON92
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KINGSOLOMON92 »

I think the character reflect on how people care is self center
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I believe the poor behaviors in this book will be reflected in our current society if that is what someone is trying to draw a comparison to. I also believe positive behaviors between characters in the book and real-life society could be made as well. The media has a knack for typically reporting on stories that will create lasting drama. News reports covering positive behaviors rarely offer ongoing story lines.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Unfortunately yes. This is the reality of the present day society. A lot of people are selfish and only think about themselves and their gain. This is reflected in this book.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I think there are definitely some aspects that reflect society, and probably all were inspired be something similar that has happened in real life. But I would like to think this book was a rather cynical version of life, and there is more positivity in general life
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I think it can seem like this story is reflective of our society today. There are people of greed, self preservation, anxieties and more. There are situations of corrupt business, police brutality, school and family violence. These are all things we see in our society today. It may have been embellished to some degree for the audience but I can see several of these in our world.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

Yeah to a huge extent, this book went ahead to reflect the modern society especially portraying various character flaws and portraying certain personality differences.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”