McDowell's wives or lovers?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Re: McDowell's wives or lovers?

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Even if we don't know how he was with her two previous wives, he didn't seem devastated enough to not marry for the third time after two years of his second wife's death. So I don't think he liked any of them. He treats all women like a way to have a good time. He was only able to stay with Winona for such a long time because he didn't have to be faithful to her. While he didn't like any of his wives or lovers best, he must have enjoyed the freedom he had with Winona. Carole must be the least liked wife. He didn't have any children with her and the situation with her daughter and Billy must have lead to further dislike.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

Carole was definitely his least favorite. I dont think he had a favorite. He didnt like or respect woman at all.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

Namaste23 wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 06:45 Carole was definitely his least favorite. I dont think he had a favorite. He didnt like or respect woman at all.
Agree that Carole was his least favourite & he didn't respect women but I think he probably liked Winowa best because he could still see other people while they were together.
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

It is hard to say but I don't feel like he loved any of his wives or lovers the most. We are given almost no information on his first wife. She may have been the cause of his disregard for women. His second wife he seemed to love but wasn't there for her as she was sick. His third wife he seems to despise completely. He lover in Nepal he seems to care for but mostly because she is only a part of his life when he chooses to be there. She expects nothing from him. Helga was someone he cared for but circumstances and depth were lacking. I would say he had better communication and connection with the women friends in his later life than any of his wives or lovers. He really didn't understand how to show love or put others' needs above his own.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I think McDowell liked neither of them but himself. He is so self centered and didn't care about any of them but their benefit to him.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”