Were you offended by the incestuous relationship between Billy and Tasha

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Re: Were you offended by the incestuous relationship between Billy and Tasha

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

I don't think the relationship between Tasha and Billy is incestuous. Tasha is billy's step-sister. But, she is not at all connected to Billy by blood. Because they were living together in a house that doesn't mean that they have a blood relationship. Tasha marrying Billy is surely acceptable.
oncemoredorothy
Currently Reading: Fish Weilder
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oncemoredorothy.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by oncemoredorothy »

I wasn't really bothered by the step-sister/brother thing because they aren't biologically related and it does happen in real life, but I was uncomfortable when Tasha made moves towards Billy. It was clear that Billy didn't intend to fall in love with her due to some possible taboo thoughts and all. Although, there was nothing wrong about the relationship, I got offended of how Hiram referred to the "incident". It's not fair and easy to just abort the baby!
somersas13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somersas13.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by somersas13 »

I didn't really think of it as incestous (inappropriate from the outset, absolutely). They aren't blood related and weren't really raised together for very many years so I don't think they ever really thought of each other as real sisters and brothers, but more like forced roommates. Still, it wasn't appropriate the way Tasha seduced Billie and he should've said no. It would've been different had they fallen in love from afar and then their relationship became physical, but because it became physical first and then they fell in love it somehow felt wrong. Then Tasha becomes pregnant and Hiram and Tasha's mother don't want Billie and Tasha together. Rather than fight it, Billie seems to shrug his shoulders and move on. But he's fathered a child with her and puts in zero effort to try to support them or be in the child's life until Sophie sets it up for him later in the book. Also, Billie seemed to have boundary issues in general, since he also fell in love with the young girl who was hired as help when they were living abroad. It was pointed out that she was very young and had opportunities ahead of her. Yet had she not stopped coming to their home, I think Billie had planned to pursue her. Billie is much like Hiram in that he doesn't seem to think of anyone but himself. Unlike, Hiram, he was not very ambitious or driven which is why he carves drumsticks instead of becoming an actual musician himself. Billie's life is more a life of convenience, rather than making what he wants in life happen.
Leolite8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leolite8.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Post by Leolite8 »

No, I wasn't offended at all. As you say, they were not related in any way, so how can that be incestuous?
Amelia Suratos
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-suratos.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Amelia Suratos »

CasualBookReader wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 14:27 Although Tasha is Billy's step sister, and they aren't related any other way, I still thought their sexual relationship to be offensive. What did you think?
I think it is just okey so long as they don't carry the same last name because if they do, it would cause a lot of legal problems on their part.
Amelia Suratos
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-suratos.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Amelia Suratos »

somersas13 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 11:39 I didn't really think of it as incestous (inappropriate from the outset, absolutely). They aren't blood related and weren't really raised together for very many years so I don't think they ever really thought of each other as real sisters and brothers, but more like forced roommates. Still, it wasn't appropriate the way Tasha seduced Billie and he should've said no. It would've been different had they fallen in love from afar and then their relationship became physical, but because it became physical first and then they fell in love it somehow felt wrong. Then Tasha becomes pregnant and Hiram and Tasha's mother don't want Billie and Tasha together. Rather than fight it, Billie seems to shrug his shoulders and move on. But he's fathered a child with her and puts in zero effort to try to support them or be in the child's life until Sophie sets it up for him later in the book. Also, Billie seemed to have boundary issues in general, since he also fell in love with the young girl who was hired as help when they were living abroad. It was pointed out that she was very young and had opportunities ahead of her. Yet had she not stopped coming to their home, I think Billie had planned to pursue her. Billie is much like Hiram in that he doesn't seem to think of anyone but himself. Unlike, Hiram, he was not very ambitious or driven which is why he carves drumsticks instead of becoming an actual musician himself. Billie's life is more a life of convenience, rather than making what he wants in life happen.
Seems like the parents are to blame. Misguidance to their children has ill effects.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

An incestuous relationship is always disturbing even if the concerned people are not biologically related. However, in this story, Billy and Tasha did not grow up together. They had none of the experiences or memories that make a relationship what it is. So their case, I think is different and should not be viewed through the prism of incest.
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

Technically, they weren't related by blood but I still found their relationship inappropriate.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.
Loveli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loveli.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Loveli »

I didn't find this relationship offensive at all. It happens often in real life too. Yes, they were too young for a sexual relationship. Eventually however things turned out ok.
TheRVMom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thervmom.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by TheRVMom »

If they had been raised as brother and sister then I would see it as offensive and disgusting. The only chance it would be offensive is because their parents married. Well, what if they met and fell in love before their parents married each other? It's no different in my eyes.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is true that Billie and Tasha were not related but the fact that Carole and Hiram were married makes them family. I was not offended but I did not approve of their relationship. Hiram and Carole had a big role in this. They would have helped their children early enough. Billie had self-esteem issues which would have been handled.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
james Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by james Mutuma »

although Tasha is a step sister to Billy they are not morally supposed to engage in any sexual relationship.there is an african saying that goes like this:whoever my dad marries is my mother.meaning that even the step kids are your brothers and sis.
jesdav16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesdav16.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by jesdav16 »

I was not offended by Billie and Tasha's relationship, because it can happen in real life. However, I do not approve of the relationship, because it is immoral and unacceptable.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I didn't find anything incestuous in their relationship. Besides, they ended up building a nice family together, after all. What I do find offensive is Hiram's aggressive behavior and inability to talk to both Billie and Tasha about their feelings and expectations for the future.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

The relationship was weird and the part when Tasha made a move on Billy got me really uncomfortable. But I guess it was expected in such a dysfunctional family when they never treated each other like real family members usually did. Besides, their characters were so little fleshed out that I'd never cared about them anyway to be honest.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”