The drab looking book cover

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
bdu15062
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdu15062.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Re: The drab looking book cover

Post by bdu15062 »

I think that the cover is fine for McDowell. I was drawn to the book because of the simplicity of the art and I think that the hat adds to the mystery of this man. Having no colours, just black and white also contributes to how this character might have a good or bad personality.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

A black and white cover makes this book stand out.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I believe the cover is perfect for this character-driven book. The black and white actually brings out the grayish shades in McDowell's character. Also, his half-hidden face and the shadows indicate that there is more to this man than meets the eye.
Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I think the cover is very well-suited for this book. It creates mystery while maintaining the simplicity at the same time. Also depicting the duality of the main character.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

sszb wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 10:58 I am guilty of judging a book by the cover. When I saw it's cover I felt like the book is based on some depressing story. I had just passed it. Later I read it's review and find out the tale is very interesting. I read the book because of the review.
💐💐💐
Initially, when I saw the book I did the same I just passed it over, but when I read it as it became the book of the month. I thought, what a colorful bastard this Mc Dowell turns out to be.
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

I agree; I think the black and white suits McDowell very well. I think the book cover is actually perfect. A black and white outline of a mysterious man catches the eye as much as a bright and colorful book cover. I wouldn't change a thing!
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

The cover shows an enigmatic character reduced to two colors that reflect simplicity and a fundamental duality that perfectly paint what Hiram McDowell represents (his clothes or image that projects to others are dark while his face is white). The hat that covers his eyes also reflects his somber nature and the fact that he hides behind his image as a professional.
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

When I looked at the cover the first time, my immediate reaction was sort of recoil from the character. He seems aloof, not straight forward and with something to hide. Turns out, that's exactly who he is in the story. Having said that, I feel there should have been more effort to try and appeal to a potential reader. Because that cover by itself would not entice me to pick up the book to read.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I think I understood the cover after I read the review. If you are looking for a first impression, looking at the cover may not convincemany readers into buying the book. However, for seasoned readers you may perceive this book's content and character correctly. I have not read the book so I stand to be corrected.
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

I have not read this book yet. I have passed it over a number of times because of the cover art and title. It seems to be a story readers enjoyed. I may have to check out some of rhe reviews now.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
Moray_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Well the book was centered around McDowell so the book cover seemed fitting. It highlighted only one element and one character.
Anju_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anju-9.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Anju_9 »

I think the cover is suitable for showing McDowell's character. I can definitely see the reference of his selfish ways and later, how he tried to get a better life. The black and white colors are perfect to picturize the first and second half of the novel. If I was the author, I wouldn't change the cover.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

The cover fits Hiram's personality perfectly. I would not change a thing about the cover.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

The black and white cover does more than enhance the characteristics of McDowell. It's a reflection of the good versus bad way the world is perceived, and ties in greatly with how the actions of McDowell have the expected consequences. The black to white image is a study in stark contrast, and adds a level of intrigue in its simplicity.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Tobiasblackwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobiasblackwell.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Tobiasblackwell »

As repeated by other readers, I feel that the black and white cover portrays McDowell's character perfectly.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”