Which character did you like most in "McDowell" aside from Hiram McDowell himself?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Re: Which character did you like most in "McDowell" aside from Hiram McDowell himself?

Post by SpencerVo »

somersas13 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 11:30 I really liked the minor female characters in the book: Hulga, Maude, and Winona. I thought they were the strongest characters in the book because they were the biggest influences on McDowell in the second part of the book and helped guide him and shape him for the better. While I enjoyed Sophie's character, she was so dependent on her father in so many ways that it wasn't until the end of the book when her father is gone that she starts to come into her own and find her strength. McDowell loved his children, but they felt all extensions of himself in many ways, whereas these minor characters exerted the most influence on him and were wholly independent of his influence. Even Hulga, who seems desperate, is able to teach him to love differently and value women in a way he hadn't previously before.
This is the opinion I've been looking for.
I find the non-recurring characters much more engaging than the prominent ones. Paige was pretty annoying sometimes and Sophie needed to be more self-reliant (though her arc ended in a positive note and I think she would grow a lot in the future). But Hulga, Maude and Winona was kind, open-minded, wholesome yet still had some humane weaknesses. They were the forces needed to pull McDowell out of his selfish bubble.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
jibby9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jibby9.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by jibby9 »

I was definitely rooting for Sophie! She impressed me with her admirable photography pursuits, had a strong moral character (not without flaws), and seemed to have good intentions through-and-through. I began the book liking Paige but was not too fond of her when her focus switched from presenting the truth to vilifying McDowell as a seemingly personal vendetta.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I liked Sophie. I thought she was a well written and well developed character. I liked the way she treated others and was concerned about her father.
leanne_brown17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanne-brown17.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by leanne_brown17 »

I enjoyed many of the minor characters, especially those that Hiram came into contact with after his escape. After careful consideration, I have to say that I liked Maud the best. Her interactions with Hiram were the ones that I most enjoyed because it was the beginning of his growth as a person. It was easy to see that Hiram wanted something different than what he was getting from her, but she was unwavering in her manner and never bent to Hiram's will. She seemed very real, down to earth, strong and wise.
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

I like Sophie above all. Actually, I'm hoping for a sequel that will tell her story with Charles Gibson. That's interesting for me. Will they really end up together or not?
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I liked Sophie the most. Aside from Hiriam, she seemed to be the most developed character to read about.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

Sophie is an interesting character. She is a confident photographer. Personally, she is quite responsible which is evident by her decisions. She guides Billy well during his dilemma in his love life. She takes cautious decisions while disclosing details of Hiram to Paige.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Maud was a good one, Paige, too.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

My favorite character is Sophie. She is so caring, always ready to help her relatives. At the same time, her destiny is not easy at all, but she never loses her optimism.
bdu15062
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bdu15062.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by bdu15062 »

I agree Sophie was one of my favourite characters. I really connected with her on a personal level being a fellow artist myself but I could empathise with her loneliness at times. She developed into a really caring person and believed in herself to make the right choice in staying connected with her father.
GladdenKay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladdenkay.html

Post by GladdenKay »

I got to love Sophie the most. I didn't like how weak she was in the beginning with her girlfriend June but I loved her character development. Maud and Winona were such strong characters. I wish there was more of them in the book.
Arup343
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arup343.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton Cosby
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Arup343 »

I like Sophie the most! She is such a delicate character and most importantly, she is a photographer, which is also my passion! :D
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I like the performance role of Hiram McDowell in this story because he has played a role of anti hero in true sense. Although the role of McDowell is not positive but his performance is the actual theme for the story which makes this story attractive and admirable. The story looks like a real life story only and only due to him therefore I like him.
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

I developed a soft spot for Carole. Despite her struggles and career, she still had time for her family and kids.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I like Sophie, too. She really felt like an authentic character, one that has her weaknesses, but one that has real strength, too. The combination of her vulnerabilities and her gifts makes her a character the reader can empathize with and root for. She's one of the characters in the book that is able to evoke light and inspiration.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”