Supernatural and Horror/Spooky Tales Book Discussion

For October 2018, we will be reading supernatural and/or horror/spooky tales.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Supernatural and Horror/Spooky Tales Book Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Recently, I finished another spooky book! I read The Diviners by Libba Bray with gali for the new Read-A-Long forum, and I absolutely enjoyed it! When teenage Evie comes to New York and mysterious and gruesome murders happen, the pressure to find the murderer before Solomon's Comet comes is high.

I thought the author did a great job in telling the story. There were some slower parts, but the others kept the plot moving and kept me captivated. The parts that were meant to be creepy and spooky definitely were for me. I would say whenever a murder scene came up, I could feel my heart racing! In general, I'm looking forward to the next book in the series!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 18:52 Recently, I finished another spooky book! I read The Diviners by Libba Bray with gali for the new Read-A-Long forum, and I absolutely enjoyed it! When teenage Evie comes to New York and mysterious and gruesome murders happen, the pressure to find the murderer before Solomon's Comet comes is high.

I thought the author did a great job in telling the story. There were some slower parts, but the others kept the plot moving and kept me captivated. The parts that were meant to be creepy and spooky definitely were for me. I would say whenever a murder scene came up, I could feel my heart racing! In general, I'm looking forward to the next book in the series!
Ditto!

It was a great book and I also look forward to the next one!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 18:08
Gravy wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 23:41
hsimone wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 19:10

I finished reading it and it was awesome! My gosh, my heart was so affected by Conor and other children who experience something similar. You're right, it isn't what I expected either, but it was sooo good! I actually never read anything by Patrick Ness other than this one, but I'm definitely going to add more books of his on my to-list. I've actually been wanting to read The Knife Never Letting Go for a while now. Thank you for recommending this series, I'm definitely checking it out!

The "monster" in the book was scary, but not in the sense that I was expecting to be scary. I found this part so creative of the author and I loved how he brought the symbolism of the monster to light. I absolutely loved this and would also highly recommend it!
I'm so glad you enjoyed this! It was such an amazing story. It got me a little. Tissues come in handy. :lol:

The film version is pretty good, but the book is still better. ❤
Oh, it got to me, too :)

Books seem to always do better than the movie adaptations, but it's good to know that the movie was pretty good, too. I'm excited to see it!
Liam Neeson is excellent as the voice of the monster. :)

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Gravy wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 22:48

I'm so glad you enjoyed this! It was such an amazing story. It got me a little. Tissues come in handy. :lol:

Books seem to always do better than the movie adaptations, but it's good to know that the movie was pretty good, too. I'm excited to see it!
Liam Neeson is great! I initially picked up the book thinking it was a bit spooky. If you've ever read anything by Patrick Ness, you would expect something a bit weird and supernatural. Instead, it just ended up making me cry.
I was happy with the movie - I thought they did the book great justice. And that doesn't often happen :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Bianka Walter wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 04:25

Liam Neeson is great! I initially picked up the book thinking it was a bit spooky. If you've ever read anything by Patrick Ness, you would expect something a bit weird and supernatural. Instead, it just ended up making me cry.
I was happy with the movie - I thought they did the book great justice. And that doesn't often happen :)
Very true!

They also did great with the special effects. :)

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali

Post by gali »

I finished A night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny and loved it. The book is written in the form of a diary, and its narrator is an enchanted dog. The book follows a group of well-known figures who gather in the town where a ceremony is planned to summon ancient forces. The story takes place during the month of October, one entry per day. I loved the voice of the dog, the writing, and the plot! I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 21:36
Bianka Walter wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 04:25

Very true!

They also did great with the special effects. :)
I didn't know that Liam Neeson was the voice of the monster. Something to look forward to!

It's great to hear that the special effects were done well! I'll have to get the hubby to watch the movie with me :D
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 07:39 I finished A night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny and loved it. The book is written in the form of a diary, and its narrator is an enchanted dog. The book follows a group of well-known figures who gather in the town where a ceremony is planned to summon ancient forces. The story takes place during the month of October, one entry per day. I loved the voice of the dog, the writing, and the plot! I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.
That's awesome! Glad to hear that you enjoyed the book, and that the writing and plot were done well. I love reading books in a dog's perspective, so maybe I'll check it out! :D
Heidi

JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

I'm thinking of grabbing one of the Stephen King books that I have on my bookshelf, but haven't touched yet. I think it will be Mr. Mercedes.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:

Post by JHuschle519 »

gali wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:15 I have started "A night in the lonesome October" by Roger Zelazny, and I think it is the perfect book for this month. It is written in the form of a diary whose author is an enchanted dog. It takes place during the month of October, one entry per day, so I read one entry per day as well. :)
That sounds really interesting, not just the book itself, but the way you are reading it. Seems like reading just one entry per day would be a lot of fun.
gali

Post by gali »

JHuschle519 wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 20:45
gali wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:15 I have started "A night in the lonesome October" by Roger Zelazny, and I think it is the perfect book for this month. It is written in the form of a diary whose author is an enchanted dog. It takes place during the month of October, one entry per day, so I read one entry per day as well. :)
That sounds really interesting, not just the book itself, but the way you are reading it. Seems like reading just one entry per day would be a lot of fun.
I finished it the other day and loved it. It was so good, I had to keep reading! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

JHuschle519
Currently Reading:

Post by JHuschle519 »

gali wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 21:58
I finished it the other day and loved it. It was so good, I had to keep reading! :)
I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

JHuschle519 wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 19:38 I'm thinking of grabbing one of the Stephen King books that I have on my bookshelf, but haven't touched yet. I think it will be Mr. Mercedes.
I haven't heard of Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. When you get the chance to read it, I hope you enjoy!
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 21:58
I love when a book is so good that it's hard to stop reading! Glad you enjoyed it! :D
Heidi

JHuschle519
Currently Reading:

Post by JHuschle519 »

hsimone wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 19:10

I finished reading it and it was awesome! My gosh, my heart was so affected by Conor and other children who experience something similar. You're right, it isn't what I expected either, but it was sooo good! I actually never read anything by Patrick Ness other than this one, but I'm definitely going to add more books of his on my to-list. I've actually been wanting to read The Knife Never Letting Go for a while now. Thank you for recommending this series, I'm definitely checking it out!

The "monster" in the book was scary, but not in the sense that I was expecting to be scary. I found this part so creative of the author and I loved how he brought the symbolism of the monster to light. I absolutely loved this and would also highly recommend it!

Wow, I guess I'm going to have to check this one out. Everyone seems to love it :D .

Return to “October 2018 Genre Discussion”