How do you feel about spooky books?

For October 2018, we will be reading supernatural and/or horror/spooky tales.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Re: How do you feel about spooky books?

Post by JHuschle519 »

hsimone wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:49
gali wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:41 I like spooky read, as long as they aren't too scary (someone said Stephen King??).

I have read a few Stephen King books, but not his scary ones. I watched the "The Shining" when I was a kid, and it gave me nightmares as well.
Yeah, I'm thinking at some point to read a Stephen King book, but maybe something less spooky like you said. I won't touch another scary movie now :lol:
There are quite a few Stephen King books that are creepy without being quite as terrifying as The Shining. I just finished one called Revival that you may want to check out.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

JHuschle519 wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 05:47
hsimone wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:49
gali wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:41 I like spooky read, as long as they aren't too scary (someone said Stephen King??).

I have read a few Stephen King books, but not his scary ones. I watched the "The Shining" when I was a kid, and it gave me nightmares as well.
Yeah, I'm thinking at some point to read a Stephen King book, but maybe something less spooky like you said. I won't touch another scary movie now :lol:
There are quite a few Stephen King books that are creepy without being quite as terrifying as The Shining. I just finished one called Revival that you may want to check out.
Thank you for the recommendation. I think it is on my reading list. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Reading horror books (especially in the dark) is an absolute adrenaline rush. I was a fan of the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark books when I was a kid, and after graduating up to Stephen King's The Skeleton Crew, which is a collection of terrifying short stories which includes The Mist, I knew I had an obsession. However, even as an adult now, I could never read a bunch of scary or spooky books in row! A few a year will do.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

DakotaA wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 07:18 Reading horror books (especially in the dark) is an absolute adrenaline rush. I was a fan of the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark books when I was a kid, and after graduating up to Stephen King's The Skeleton Crew, which is a collection of terrifying short stories which includes The Mist, I knew I had an obsession. However, even as an adult now, I could never read a bunch of scary or spooky books in row! A few a year will do.
Oh, man. I remember Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark books, but I was too freaked out to read more than one story. I actually had a copy and would hide it in one of my dresser drawers because the book cover scared me too much to have it out in the open like other books :lol:

Yeah, I think I was bit braver as a kid, too, or just dumb. :lol2: I remember watching several Stephen King book-to-movie adaptations, Child's Play, and Nightmare on Elm St...To be fair, most of these gave me nightmares, but for whatever reason, I wanted to watch them. Now? Heck no! I have no desire to revisit or see any new scary movies. :shock:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

I love a good spooky book! For me, the best ones aren't the ones that are terrifying the whole way through though. I love it when the book builds to the scary moments in such a way that you don't know when it's going to happen, but you know that it's coming.
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

JHuschle519 wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 19:09 I love a good spooky book! For me, the best ones aren't the ones that are terrifying the whole way through though. I love it when the book builds to the scary moments in such a way that you don't know when it's going to happen, but you know that it's coming.
That's awesome! I agree about not liking to be terrified the entire length of the book. I like little dibs and dabs of creepiness, but not too much :mrgreen2:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Well, I like to read scary/horror stories more than I like to watch them because while reading and being captured into a book your mind seems or at least my mind seems to create it's on setting on what or it is that I am reading. So I like horror genre fairly well but I don't read a whole lot of it.
Chelsea N. Hackett
VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ »

I love a good horror/thriller book. Truth is, I dabble more in psychological thriller and books that push the boundaries of what horror can be, than the old 'ghost story' - if there's surrealism there, count me in. I love me some deranged characters or very atmospheric books, the ones that just trick your brain. Horror as a genre can be really hard to write - much easier in visual format, because loud noises, camera tricks etc.- so I have massive respect for writers who can create an immersive horror/thriller experience. My favourite horror/thriller novel is The Collector by John Fowles - it explores the mind of this guy who kidnaps a girl and holds her hostage. And if that wasn't enough, we get the victim's point of view as well. Never got into King, his prose is just not my taste, but the movies based on his books are relatively good, so there must be some good horror in them. John Saul is another author I like - his books often feature children and it's just such an interesting perspective to follow.

Return to “October 2018 Genre Discussion”