Is it practical?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Re: Is it practical?

Post by Jacci »

Theresam wrote: โ†‘19 Nov 2018, 13:13 I think the advice the author provides in the book is practical. I think his recommendations are helpful and easy to implement
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป nice idea! If only it is easy to implement it within myself, sometimes so hard to make it a habit. Just smile to make it pretty cool.๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜„
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I haven't yet read the entire book but so far I think not. On one side, yes if you are ABLE to implement his advice it is practical. But as one respondent has commented above, life is unpredictable. It's all well and good to advise someone to "live their life with intention," but tell that to the single mother stuck in a dead-end job who can barely afford to put food on the table and for whom night school is only a pipe dream. Life is not only unpredictable, but it can also slam you down so hard that all the "intentions" in the world can't help you. Sorry to be so negative, but "fluffy" advice like this infuriates me.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Gemma_15
Currently Reading: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-15.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Gemma_15 »

These teaching are quite practical. I should know. I was in therapy for years trying to better my life, granted I do have depression and anxiety to add to my list of issues, and these were the exact tactics that really made a difference in my life. It takes a while to get the hang of these techniques, but once you do, the change is obvious.
"Don't let the hard days win." -Sarah J. Maas
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

This is truly practical book because our daily life activities and actions are based on the practical skills and not only on the thinkings. As this book provides the ways for the solution of the problems occuring in our day to day experiences so again we can say that it is a practial book.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

Some of the advice seems practical and some does not. It really depends on the person. To me I felt that most of the advice was practical but I don't think that ever person could apply every piece of advice.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Nor all things read in books are practical, one just have to use wisdom to see which can work. Even in this case.

Yours sincerely
Books are lovely.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Sen_Suzumiya wrote: โ†‘02 Nov 2018, 06:42 I believe that every self-helping book has something to offer. Yes, most of the times we usually know the answer to our problems but sometimes we need someone else to describe to us what's going on inside our heads. Books like those don't have to give you the answer you need, or a recipe to overcome all your problems and obstacles. What they do is explain to you the way things work and the way your mind reacts to different situations so you can understand yourself better and the rest of the world. If we realize that I think every self-helping book would have something to offer to all of us.
I agree - I liked the advice the author provided in this book and I think it is intended to help the reader understand himself Better
Rodrigo Niguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodrigo-niguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Rodrigo Niguez »

I think the issues discussed in the book are highly practical. Difficulty arises in following them all the time.
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

The obvious answer (mostly because it's just so universal) is that it depends. People have a different way of learning. Some people learn from others mistakes, others read a book and find guidance from that and some do their own mistakes and learn from it (or not). It's not like they have discovered anything fundamentally new for this book. Lot of it is basic common sense things. However, occasionally it can be really helpful to have somebody write down the "obvious" and "everybody knows this" things so we can make the knowledge that indeed we already may have a bit more systematic.
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

At a quick glance, I would find it practical but it depends on how the person look at it or what one is going through. What we thought right is not always what it is for others. So it still depends on a person or how he/she will apply it. The first question would be: Is this something I can relate to? And if the answer is yes, then one can certainly use the author's advice. There's no harm in trying anyway. But like what I said, it STILL AND ALWAYS DEPENDS on a person.
Peculiar. Unique. Extraordinairรฉ | Philippians 4:13
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

It is practical to the extent that the reader understands and applies it. What works for one person may not necessarily work for the next person. The way the author handled one scenario doesnt mean that the reader will get the exact same results handling it that way. So, i think its a matter of applying it as per what is the actual situation on the ground.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

There are many concepts in the book that we can put into practice if we choose to do so: Taking control of our thoughts, not making excuses for ourselves about why we do not succeed, making clear decisions about what you want to do, become, or achieve, accepting yourself and appreciate what you do have to name but a few.
NotJose
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by NotJose »

I love this kind of books. This book pushes and encourages people to be brave to overcome their problems. It's a great book for people with low self-confidence.
preethijkumar
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preethijkumar.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by preethijkumar »

Basically, every self help book is meant to be practical. Else, there isn't any real help offered. This book is definitely practical. Although, just like every other book it suffers widely on the monotonous advices as offered in most books.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I think the book is very practical. The author provided simplified directives to attaining success.

Return to โ€œDiscuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiakโ€