In what way did this self-help book inspire you

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Re: In what way did this self-help book inspire you

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

this book really inspired me to take action and make positive change in my life. To stop making excuses and take more positive action to achieve my goals. I thought the author did a great job in motivating the reader to focus on goals and success.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I feel that the book makes you look at your life and the direction that you are heading in. If you don't like the direction that you're going in, change it. That's kind of the point of the title. Get your head outta your but!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I was impressed by the way the author came strong out of the gate. From the first pages his themes was: remain open to the possibility of new and alternative ways of thinking. Readers are alerted to the fact that change starts with me. The author shows how this happened in his own life and what results he had. That message, coupled with the personal examples, help to motivate readers to begin applying his advice.
Lmahle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmahle.html
Latest Review: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) by David J Castello

Post by Lmahle »

I honestly don't felt like this book inspired me at all. It was exactly what I expected out of a self-help book - cliches and overused advice.
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

Swiftmover07 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 23:54 The part where the author tells you to start taking responsibility for where you are at in your life. That part really stuck with me because it is true. Every decision a person has made up to this day has lead to where you are at in life... A real eye opener when you absorb the words and let them actually sink in.
I agree, i become this way because it is the by-product of my decisions.
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

Advises are helpful and somewhat inspired me, but the author's life is different from me. So, why would i follow all the advices?
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I think that the overall story inspired me to take a look at my own life/experiences to see if it could be improved in my everyday life. I think it makes you look for possibilities and positivity in your life.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I didn't read this book so no. My self help inspiration came from the tables of NA, when I was trying to transition out of a bad time in my life. I learned at those tables when it comes to self help and inspiration/motivation you take what you need and leave the rest. Meaning that what's not meant for you is meant for someone else, and that is ok as long as it helps them become better and not bitter.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

cpru68 wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 09:22 I read a lot of self-help, and the reason I do is that I always learn something when the author shares a piece of his or her life. This one is no different. I felt that this author did a great job detailing some parts of his life where he truly needed to look at himself and change his ways instead of blaming others. I especially liked the part where he didn't want to go with friends to an event, and he said yes anyway. He was so conflicted about not wanting to let them down, but he didn't want to go. Finally, after working up enough courage, he tells them he doesn't want to go, and then they don't really care! I thought that story was so good because I have done the same thing where I have compromised to make others happy instead of doing what I wanted to do. The whole book was great!
That part of the book really connected with me too! I found that I was compromising to keep others happy and keep the peace but it wasn’t always in my best interest. The book helped me to take notice of that and really make a conscious effort to change
sbose3679
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sbose3679 »

I believe self help books are good for the mind , body and soul. I think this books helps a lot with not making excuses for yourself and blaming other people for your action. Meaning take faults for the mistakes you made in life ? Learning from it and moving forward for a better you.
Christopher Alegbe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christopher Alegbe »

it change my life in a tremendous way, and its inspire me and create a self confidence in me about life!
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

The books helped me by reading the authors own story and reflecting on how that could be useful for me. Self-help books are as it is titled. They are to help and make you better. Since the author uses his personal experience to do so, then by looking at the wrong and rights of his experiences, I confirmed mine.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dreamthewilderness »

I found this book to be useful in that it's riddled with practical suggestions of the importance of attitude and mentality. I didn't find it particularly inspiring, none of the information was new to me - but they are useful reminders, and I have found directing my attention back to my own thoughts since reading the book has brought a new sense of hope and vitality to my days.
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

The part I liked the most and took the most from was taking a look at your life and fully taking responsibility for where you are in your life at that very moment. Every single choice you have made in your life, the good and the bad, have gotten you to where you are right now. Nothing anyone else has done has gotten you here, it is all on you. Every single time you've reacted to something someone else has done, and every time you have made a choice that affects other people. All of these choices have made you who you are and have gotten you to where you are in life. That is a very simple yet powerful concept that most people don't fully grasp. It is something that has changed my life immensely and for the better.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

I've had dreams and goals in the past to do things. However, that 'but' at times seems like a real solid rock in my head, and it feels impenetrable until that goal or dream is quietly filtered out of mind. The book reminded me of the dangers of 'but' and steered me toward taking massive actions.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”