Is this book really offensive?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Re: Is this book really offensive?

Post by Don Pwai »

Actually no, the author is honest and only says things as he sees them. Some people need such provocation to realize their potential.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

Swiftmover07 wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 23:48 I did not find any of the content offensive. I love how nothing was sugar-coated it makes the content relatable. One of my favorite examples is where the author says "There is nothing wrong with being selfish and acting on your own best interest"
I personally agree on this.⬆️⬆️⬆️
For me, it hurts more when you know the truth and someone chose to overly sugar-coat it. I think being honest and straightforward can be more helpful. As cliché as it sounds, truth hurts and not knowing is worse.
Peculiar. Unique. Extraordinairé | Philippians 4:13
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

I believe the writer is just straight forward which makes sense as it is a self help guide. This book is not really offensive.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is true that we are fond of blaming others for our own faults. This is not strange since it began in the Garden of Eden when both Adam and Eve did so. However, the book is not offensive. I found it captivating.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
supremeamber
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by supremeamber »

No the book is not opensive. The writer was just stating things forward.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Sometimes a person can be very direct, but that doesn't mean that the book is offensive. Although, there will be people who are more sensitive and might think so.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

It's not offensive at all. Sometimes people just need that tough love, that push, to woman up in order to be successful. Am one of those people :) .
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I don't think anything the author says could be offensive if it is meant to inspire and point out blunt truths
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

Straight talk is often offensive to a number of people, depending on how hard hitting it is. The remedy is to grow a thick skin and learn to take in constructive feedback if it applies to you and let it slide off if it isn't meant for you. This is not to mean that we should pretend the hurt isn't there if it is. It's about being candid with yourself and aiming to see the point that is being passed across in the midst of the hurt.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

I don't think the book is offensive. The author's tone reminds me of the definition of "tough love" which is something I need in my life. In fact, I really appreciate that he did not sugar-coat his ideas and instead chose honesty while exposing our weaknesses or misconception about life and success.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Nothing really offended me that I read in the book. The author's title alluding to getting your head out of your butt does not attract me at all, but when he used the word "buts", it all made sense why he used that phrasing. We are not to keep making excuses for why we do or don't do the things we shouldn't or should do in our lives. The author came across to me as wanting to help readers succeed and not to cut them down or to criticize.
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praisecrown8.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by praisecrown8 »

No. I didn't find anything offensive.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

I felt the author was being cautious with his words, carefully choosing what to say and how to say it so not to offend anyone. He still remains straightforward and avoids beating about the bush, which I surely appreciated.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I find that sugar coating everything never really gets us anywhere, it just leads to a world where everyone can be offended by everything because they expect the whole world to be gumdrops and candy canes and are hurt when it isn't. I think that in a book that wants to motivate people, you can't sugar coat everything because not everything about changing yourself is going to be easy.
nomnombooks
Currently Reading: Die Uhr, die nicht tickt
Bookshelf Size: 491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomnombooks.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by nomnombooks »

I really didn't think the book was offensive. As the title already suggests it is very straight forward but I personally I feel that that is what I want from a book like that.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”